Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adarsh_kr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2006, 09:16 AM
    1.5 Months - Should I file tax return
    Hi,

Im in H1B and came here last November. My SSN application got delayed and got it only on January. My company says even though you were paid, you shall not file tax returns for year 2005. That salary will be carried forward and will be treated together with the 2006 salary. They are planning not to give W2 for me, for the last year.

My concerns are:

1. Will it be a problem, having received the salary, not filing tax returns here

2. As there was a considerable amount of tax taken during that time, if I would have filed my tax retrurns, I guess I would have received a better tax refund, than filing with 2006 salary.

3. Is filing tax returns good in any way? Because, in India, I get a privilege if Im a tax payer.

Thanks in advance,
    Adarsh
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 21, 2006, 10:05 AM
    Adarsh:

You need your company's cooperation. Without the W-2, you cannot file the tax return.

Go back to the company and ask them nicely to reconsider their decision and produce the W-2 for 2005 for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I file New York State Tax Return as Non Resident ? [ 16 Answers ]

Hello, I'm looking for some advice about my state tax return. Thank you in advance for whoever can provide some guidance. I'm a french citizen and arrived in New York under a J-1 visa in July 2004. I filed as non resident for my 2004 tax return. In October 2005, I obtained the H1-B status....

Do I need to file for State Tax return? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I am a student on an F-1 visa from india. I earned around $3000 in the 2004 calendar year. I will file for my Federal Tax returns, but do I need to file for my State tax too? I live in New York City, but my income was under the $7500 quota for a single individual. It is my...

PA - Security Deposit Return - It's been 6 months, please help. [ 6 Answers ]

This is a long post, but want to make sure I provide all the details... My wife and I rented a house for $1000/month in Pennsylvania. We signed a 6 month lease and submitted a $1000 security deposit. We did everything by the book and were great tenants... even putting up with his realtors...

What kinds of tax return should I file,when is the deadline of them [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I got h1-b visa, arrived and worked in usa in October,2005. I got one w-2. According to w-2 I paid five kinds of taxes:federal income tax,state(new york) income tax,local(new york) income tax, social security tax and medicare tax. I am wondering how many kinds of tax return I should file. I...

How should a h1-b holder file tax return? [ 3 Answers ]

I got hi-b visa and arrived and worked in New York at November 1,2005. How should I file tax return? How many kinds of taxes should I pay? Which forms should I use? I only know the deadline of 2005 income tax return is July 17,2006. Thank you very much.

View more questions Search