Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    geoguevara Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2008, 07:35 PM
    Green card issue
    What is the immigration process for an expatriate spouse married to a US green card holder?
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

May 5, 2008, 10:46 PM
    You have to file I-130 and when your petition for your spouse is approved, your spouse will be notified by the Department of State when a visa number becomes available. The process take approximately 5-6 years, if you become US citizen after filing the petition, you may upgrade to "spouse of US citizen" which takes 8-10 months.

If your spouse is outside of the United States at the time of notification, he/she must then go to the local U.S. consulate to complete visa processing. If your spouse is inside US through a lawful admission or parole and is maintaining that status at the time of notification, he/she may file the Form I-485 when the visa number becomes available.

If you do not have the visa number issued by the Department of State, you must wait for a number to become current. Your spouse may need to depart the United States to avoid accruing unlawful presence.

If she currently is in US illegally, you will need an experienced immigration lawyer as your spouse will be barred 3-10 years depending on length of overstay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Immigration law (greencard) [ 9 Answers ]

Is there anyway how a person who enterd the usa illegally could get a green card by working paper from an employer, I know that there is a penalty of leaving the country ten years but Ill like to know if there is any law that could waive that penalty, plese advise.

H4-OPT-F1-Greencard question [ 1 Answers ]

My husband came to US on March 7th 2003 on a H4 visa, changed to F1 on November 5th 2004 and worked with an OPT until Sept 30th 2005, after which he got his green card. For the previous 2 years we filed our taxes jointly using my resident status (1040A). His company has given him two W-2s, one...

View more questions Search