Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    reginadiggins Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2008, 05:59 PM
    My divorce attorney is AWFUL
    I filed for a divorce on 3/7/08 with a female attorney. From her consultation, I thought she would be a God send since she had been through a divorce as well. This was a big mistake on my part. I had a TPO hearing on 4/10/08 in which this woman was clearly unprepared and she asked only ordinary questions that I could have asked without paying her all of this money. The judge was on the verge of allowing this man back into the home with me but he gave me a stern lecture and only ordered 3 more months of the TPO. Since April 10th, I have tried to contact my so called attorney via mail and phone but she WILL NOT return any of my calls or respond to my letters. The only thing I am trying to do is set up mediation since the judge made a point of saying that when we come back 7/10/08 he strongly hopes we have either reconciled or we have a divorce settlement for him to sign. I don't see how this can happen without cooperation from my jackass of a STBX and uncooperation from my attorney. I can't afford another attorney because hiring her put me in a slump. This woman is awful. Is there any type of grievance that I can file against her. Oh yeah, my STBX was verbally and physically abusive and there are police reports to back it up and she only briefly mentioned them in the TPO hearing.

He does not work and yet his nosy, bossy sister hired him an attorney and they are trying to bulldog me and if I keep on with this unresponsive attorney that I have, this may very well be the outcome. Can someone out there please help me??
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2008, 07:35 PM
    It is certainly not unheard of that an attorney must be replaced. What state are you in?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 5, 2008, 07:51 PM
    So fire this attorney and hire another one,
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2008, 08:21 PM
    The money you paid that attorney as a retainer was probably used up long ago, and there is no incentive for them to spend any more time helping you unless you dangle more money in front of them... which they may know that you do not have the resources... so in their own interest, they will spend the time on cases where there is more money to be made.

Perhaps you should contact a battered woman's shelter or center to seek legal aide or to inquire about a lawyer who can help you based on your income? You do not have to keep the same attorney if you are unhappy with her. You also may be able to find an attorney that will allow you to make payments so that you do not need to have all of the money up front... especially since the case already has been filed, and some of the fees would not be necessary to repeat. It sounds like this could be a drawn out deal... and of course his lawyer is going to ask you to bend over backwards and give him everything... It is a starting point from which they want you to cave or feel that you have to negotiate for every little thing... You simply have to give counter proposals... and "demands" for what you want... and expect... if you can't come to terms, the court may appoint mediation or make a decision. The judge hopes you two can arrive at terms to make the situation more agreeable to both of you. And naturally that makes the process easier for the courts. It does not mean that you have to give the ex everything they ask for.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 6, 2008, 01:08 PM
    Contact your local Bar Association listed in the phone book for starters to complain about her. Sounds like she took your money and ran to be honest with you. Hope you didn't pay her too much.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Awful cold [ 4 Answers ]

I have the worst cold right now. I've tried everything I can think of to help it be less miserable, basically everything down the drug stores cold aisle, hot steamy showers, vapor patches, vapor plug ins, vicks vapor rub ocean drops. I can still hardly breath out of my nose! Anyone else have any...

How do I get my paid attorney to f/u on my divorce settlement [ 8 Answers ]

I just got a divorce approx 1.5 months. Per the settlement, I am to receive half of my husband's 401k along with other settlements. I don't know the legal status of my divorce and don't want to risk losing my settlement; My paid attorney refuse to return any of my calls or let me know the status...

Awful Smell [ 5 Answers ]

Hello! I have a concerning problem. About 2 months ago we had a clog in our basement drain (where the washer drains into) and had Mr. Rooter fix this problem. Now we have an awful sulfur smell coming from the basement. At first we noticed every now and then and it was only in the basement. Now...

Need divorce, can't afford an attorney [ 2 Answers ]

My husband has a drinking problem and has caused a great deal of credit problems for himself. I have put the home and cars into my name to make sure they are protected. Now he has lost his job, is drinking even more, I am trying to keep all the bills paid to protect my credit so myself and our...

Am I awful [ 21 Answers ]

People think I'm horrible because I don't hold my 8 month old all day. He doesn't like to be held but he does cry a lot.. no matter what we do he just cries

View more questions Search