Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rfranc22 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2008, 05:42 PM
    My dog won't walk
    I have a 1 1/2 year old lab spaniel mix. He's normally a great dog - energetic on walks even too energetic. For the past couple of days whenever I ask him to go for a walk he gets all excited but then when we get outside we cross the street and he lays down and won't budge. He usually walks fine on the leash. He seems to be acting pretty normal otherwise its just on his walks. I'm getting concerned. I think I'm going to schedule a vet appointment make sure he's completely healthy. Any advice on the sudden change?
    Treeny Posts: 229, Reputation: 20

May 5, 2008, 05:51 PM
    It could be a lot of things. Only a vet could determine exactly with the proper tests.
    I had a lab for 12 yrs and I do remember him just ploping down for a rest but he was older and over weight. Is he drinking and eating OK?

May 5, 2008, 05:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeny
    It could be alot of things. Only a vet could determine exactly with the proper tests.
    I had a lab for 12 yrs and I do remember him just ploping down for a rest but he was older and over weight. Is he drinking and eating ok?

He is completely fine in the house. He eats the same, drinks the same and acts the same. It is just when we get outside he randomly plops down and won't budge. But if I turn back towards the house he jumps up and gets all excited. He just wants to go home. It is getting hot outside and he's all black so I know he gets warm but not from just crossing the street...
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2008, 06:06 PM
    It might be that he is feeling out of his turf if he has not been going there recently? Might be scared and want to go home where it is safe? Just one possibility if he is otherwise healthy. Are there other dogs that might be marking that area? Have you tried little treats to coax him to go a little further... then make the treat a little further each time as you keep walking a little further. Hope that helps.

May 5, 2008, 06:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by oneguyinohio
    It might be that he is feeling out of his turf if he has not been going there recently?? Might be scared and want to go home where it is safe? Just one possibility if he is otherwise healthy. Are there other dogs that might be marking that area? Have you tried little treats to coax him to go a little further... then make the treat a little further each time as you keep walking a little further. Hope that helps.
    We try keep him on the same routine every day and he usually enjoys going out. As far as I can see no new dogs have moved into the area... Sometimes we can trick him and he will walk in another direction but then all of a sudden he lays down again. I'm going to try the treat trick later tonight but I'm just confused why the sudden change in behavior. Is there anything other than a health issue I may be overlooking?
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2008, 06:18 PM
    I think you are wise to look into the health issue. I wonder about the environment such as if there is some high pitch sound that is new and could be bothering him. Do you feed as soon as you get back home? Anything like that which might make him eager to get back home? Only other idea I can think of right now is to try walking a different direction if possible?

May 5, 2008, 07:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by oneguyinohio
    I think you are wise to look into the health issue. I wonder about the environment such as if there is some high pitch sound that is new and could be bothering him. Do you feed as soon as you get back home? Anything like that which might make him eager to get back home? Only other idea I can think of right now is to try walking a different direction if possible?
    Thanks for your help!

There's construction going on outside of the house - but that has been going on for 3 months now and he's only been doing this for the past week... He eats as he pleases throughout the day and eats one bowl each day (the same as it has been since he got to be full size). Whenever he's really good on his walk I give him a cookie or two when we get back. I stopped giving him cookies whenever he refuses to walk. I'm not sure what could make him so eager to get back to the house unless it is some kind of health issue...
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 8, 2008, 07:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rfranc22
    Thanks for your help!

There's construction going on outside of the house - but that has been going on for 3 months now and he's only been doing this for the past week...He eats as he pleases throughout the day and eats one bowl each day (the same as it has been since he got to be full size). Whenever he's really good on his walk I give him a cookie or two when we get back. I stopped giving him cookies whenever he refuses to walk. I'm not sure what could make him so eager to get back to the house unless it is some kind of health issue...

My guess would be that something spooked him - of course, get him checked out to make sure he's healthy and then - and it will probably take some time - find out what scared him so badly.

He wants to be inside where he feels safe.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Should I walk away [ 2 Answers ]

So in October, my ex husband and I finalized our divorce. The divorce decree says that I am responsible for the first mortgage and he is responsible for the second and when are prepayment penalty has expired Feb 2009, we will sell the house and split the value. He gets to live in the home, while...

My friends walk all over me [ 2 Answers ]

How do I get my friends to stop walking on me :confused:

How do you walk away? [ 6 Answers ]

Im still having trouble letting go of my 3 year relationship with my ex girlfriend. Its been almost 3 months maybe 4 and I still can't walk away without wanting to try to make it work with her and when it comes to trying not to be her friend I can't do that either I go a day maybe a week at best...

Can I walk away? [ 3 Answers ]

Okay, here is my story. I live in an apartment complex in Florida. I have put in various maintenance requests, but only about 1/2 of them they forward to maintenance. I recently had to call code enforcement to resolve one issue. This resulted in my landlord absolutely hating me, but the job...

Should I walk away? [ 213 Answers ]

hey guys I am new to this site so please bare with me =) I am 26 year old male who I would say am a good looking guy, I own my own house, I have a good job etc... I guess what I am trying to say is I have a good life and I have a lot to show for. Now 6 montn I fell deeply in love with an old...

View more questions Search