Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brmerriman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2004, 08:37 PM
    Changed thermostat now heater won't work
    We changed a white rodgers thermostat out to a honewll round and now in order for the heater to come on you must first turn the fan to the "on" position. The heater will come on but won't turn the fan on so the safety sensors turn the heater off when there is no air flow. I was told that we got the wrong thermostat. That we had to get one that had a common on it. This is a 5 ton A/C unit with electric heat. I did not personally change the stat so I couldn't say if it was a 4 or 5 wire setup. If I turn the fan to the "on" position the heat works fine. The A/C works as correctly. Can someone advise?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2004, 09:21 PM
    Re: Changed thermostat now heater won't work
    Most heating units are wired up so that the heating unit closes a relay to run the fan after a timed delay or after reaching a certain temperature. If the fan starts as soon as the heat, you would get a blast of cold air. Apparently your unit was wired to have the White Rogers thermostat control the fan at the stat. It is possible you might only need to reset a jumper in the heating unit. Figuring out how too if you lack the installation manual could be difficult. Check around, often the manuals are left inside the unit. Let me know what you find. I may be able to dig up a little more.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heater won't work in auto [ 5 Answers ]

Whenever I turn my heater on in auto it will not come on. I have switched to Run and it comes on but only blows cool air. The pilot light is lit. The A/C works great so I have no idea what this might be, I read that it might be a relay but have no idea which one it is a ~17 yr old Trane unit so...

6 wire AC/Heater to 5 Wire thermostat [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Coleman BRCS0301BB AC and a gas based heting unit. I see 6 wires coming up to the thermosat - Red Blue White Yellow Green Brown

Changed boyfriend [ 4 Answers ]

Well, I am 19 years old and I just started dating my good friend of two years who is 22. He lives right next door to me and the problem is that before we started going out, only he had feelings for me and I just liked him as a friend. And now since we started going out he has changed completely. ...

New Thermostat, doesn't work [ 2 Answers ]

Just bought a Hunter 44110. Not working. Old thermostat ChasRoberts was wired as follows: G=Green C=Blue R=Red Y=Yellow O=White Instructions would have me tie the blue and yellow to the Y on the hunter.

H-1b (changed from F-1) with spouse [ 5 Answers ]

Hi Tax Expert, I have some questions for you. 1. I was in F-1 status until June 28 2005, then my status changed to H-1b. I was wondering if I qualify for the residency status for tax purposes this year and file 1040? 2. My wife joined me as my dependent (H-4) on Dec 7 2005. Can I include...

View more questions Search