Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nishi4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2008, 01:57 PM
    Effects on Credit with Debt Not Paid at all VS Debt pain in Settlement
    I lost like 140k in a home foreclosure. The first mortgage bank cancelled my debt and sent me 1099c. The second mortgage bank sold the my loan for $102,500.00 to debt collector. Now Saxon mortgage who currently owns my loan, is giving me an offer to settle with $5000. I can't come up with that money. I have question though. I was told that any derogatory info on an account remains on the history for 7 years. Now its been 2 years already. I did not pay a single penny and have no intentions to pay in future too. Now, is it worth to pay $5000 and settle down or just forget that I even have this loan for another 5 years and wiat it to be removed from my Credit report. Or am I informed wrongly? Do unpaid loans remain on credit report forever? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2008, 02:12 PM
    Most folks believe that 7 year rule, and, it is accurate.

However, it is 7 years from the last date that the account was reported.

As long as the company is willing to keep sending the report to the credit bureau every month, it could stay on it virtually forever.

I think I would try my best to find a way to get that $5,000, that is a very good offer given the amount of the actual debt. Be sure to get everything in writing before you send any money.

Good Luck.
    Loan_Guy Posts: 83, Reputation: 6

May 10, 2008, 08:53 PM
    Nishi4,

A quick question... You said that a junk collector bought he debt and now Saxon Mortgage owns it? How did Saxon get it and when?

As far as the seven year rule, it is seven years from the date of last activity. Therefore if you have not done anything since you made the last payment, it could be longer than the two years as you say.

Regarding the reporting; while lots of collection agencies will buy and sell your debt over and over, it cannot stay on your report forever. It is seven years from the date of your last activity. If they are re-aging the debt to reflect a different date to make it stay on longer, dispute it with the credit reporting agencies, as that is inappropriate.

LG

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is credit card debt open account debt or a written agreement debt? [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently fighting a credit card debt action filed against me by Unifund. The issue is whether credit card debt is open account debt subject to 3 year SOL in the State of Washington or a written agreement debt subject to 6 years. I asked the same question on another forum and received an...

Credit card debt settlement? [ 3 Answers ]

I answered a summons that I received back in July. It was on a debt of $10, 000 the creditor says I owe. I gave them my answers, they in turn sent me statements from two years ago, but I haven't received a statement from them since Nov. of 2006. They charged off the amount back in December. I saw...

Old Credit Card Debt - Paid off. [ 2 Answers ]

We mortgaged our home to do a debt consolidation in 2000. Our debt was paid off by the company that we borrowed the money from. Now we are receiving statements from lawyers saying that they will be suing us if we don't pay them. I have papers showing what was paid off. We are getting endless...

Credit card debt settlement overseas [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I recently joined a debt settlement program that has good customer feedback on forums and favorable ratings from the BBB... however, I am worried that I will be sued before my debts are settled ($38000 over 24 months). And it is complicated by the fact that I took a job overseas for an...

View more questions Search