Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abanner1958 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2004, 08:51 AM
    "common wire"
    I have a Carrier gas/ ac system installed in 1998. I just bought honeywell digital thermastat that requires a "common wire". I have blue, tan, black and orange not being used. How can I test to determine which is "common" ?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2004, 10:49 AM
    Re: "common wire"
    Typically you will have a red and a blue wire coming off the secondary of the transformer at the furnace. The blue may run to a terminal marked C and then to one side of the heat, cool, and fan relay. The red will run to the thermostat to a terminal marked RC. The thermostat then switches the red to white, yellow, and green as called for. The blue wire should be the common. The common will have about 24 volts AC with the red one. The 2 will have a low resistance between them with everything shut off.

If the old thermostat was a simple mechanical device, it didn't need the common. The digital will need it to complete its power circuit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Who did this song: from the 80's, probably called "typical" or "that's typical" [ 2 Answers ]

Some lyrics as I hear them: Windowsill, my elbow's numb As I heard the door go and saw your car As it glides onto the road Double wasted dumbness Sodding off and I can't hear you go And that's typical There you sit in the driving seat

Thermostat -- What is the "X" wire? [ 1 Answers ]

On my old Rheem thermostat there's 7 wires: Green - G Red - R Blue - B Yellow - Y Brown - X White - w2 White(looks like its just jumped from e to w2).

View more questions Search