Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Leeboy Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

May 5, 2008, 10:50 AM
    Hot water pressure instantly stopped
    Someone was taking a shower 5 minutes ago and we heard a kind of a clang/banging noise( ithought it was someone outside made the noise. The girl came out of the shower and she said (the water) it instantly turned off. So, I turned on the kitchen faucet and the cold water is normal, but there is little or nothing for hot water. When we turn on the hot water, it kind of trickels out and we can hear a hissing noise coming form the hot water tank like it is trying to flow. No leaks or anything.. It is a gas heated water tank.. . HELP HELP HELP! Any suggestions before we call a plumber and spend all of our $$$! Thanks in advance.

May 5, 2008, 11:51 AM
    I just did a powerflush... alot of brown and chunks of white powdery stuff came out... flushed until clean, but still no pressure when the hot is turned on. Pipes are hot... but no water... Here is a picture of the top. I read sometimes at the hot outlet, it clogs. How much water do I have to drain to be able to undo the fitting on the hot outlet, to try and clear the sediment.(if this the right procedure)
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 5, 2008, 12:57 PM
    Hey Leeboy:

Sounds like the heat trap nipple may have gotten clogged...

I have included a picture of dielectric nipples and a picture of dielectric heat trap nipples... the indented nipples are the heat trap nipples. You can see that the nipple on your heater is also indented and is a heat trap type nipple. These nipples can get clogged on occasion and need to be removed and replaced with new, plain dielectric nipples (sold at all home supply stores).

You need to turn gas thermostat DIAL to PILOT or VACATION (don't turn gas valve to pilot, just turn the big dial to pilot or vacation). Then shut off the water to the entire house (trust me, will make all this easier), open all faucets in house, and then hook hose to water heater and drain off about 5-10 gallons of water.

Then will need to cut the water heater hot pipe about 6" from the threaded nipple, unscrew/disconnect the smoke pipe, unscrew the copper adapter with pipe off nipple, unscrew nipple and replace with a new dielectric nipple (not a heat trap nipple...;))...see pic.

Wrap new nipple with 1/2" teflon, 6 wraps or so clockwise around each end then install nipple. Once sufficiently tight, install the old copper adapter with pipe back in place and use a sharkbite type coupling to reconnect the pipe ends (see other picture)... these are push type connectors that are reliable and require no soldering to join the pipe back together.

After that, want to shut all faucets/valves, turn on water to house, purge air from system by opening all faucets (best to start at tub spout.. purge any large sediment out of tub spout or laundry faucet so won't clog any other faucets).. then rotate the gas thermostat back to normal position (should ignite burner) and test to see if water is flowing out the hot faucets now.

Let me know what you think... or if need more info... Mark

Attached Images

May 5, 2008, 01:09 PM
    Hi Mark, thanks for the reply. So, is this nipple found at the outlet of the hot water supply? Im not sure where bouts on the tank you are seeing the indented parts of the nipple.Looking at the picture I uploaded, the cold is on the right... Im a little confused there. ( you only attached 1 picture) Thanks, waiting for reply.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 5, 2008, 01:14 PM
    Yes.. this nipple is located at hot water outlet of heater... see pics... The indent is right on the nipple sticking out of the heater... I can see it in your pic.

Let me know if pics. Don't come up... Mark
    Attached Images

May 13, 2008, 09:10 AM
    Hey Massplumber, Thakns to your help, we are back up and running and I did the work with my neighbor. First of all, the dip tube absoltely had nothing left but a 1 inch piece of plastic hanging off the nipple... And second, there was a plastic ball (like a marble) stuck in the hot water outlet nipple... (a long with pieces of the rotten dip tube.) The job went easy and the hot wter is working better than ever... Thanks again MAssplumber...
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 13, 2008, 12:45 PM
    Hey... its good updates like that keep me comin' back for more... ;)

Glad I could help!

May 13, 2008, 04:46 PM
    Hey M.P.. . by the way... how did a marble get caught in there anyway..
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 14, 2008, 03:23 AM
    Hey Leeboy:

That's not a marble, but instead it is what makes the heat trap nipple a HEAT TRAP:

The cold water heat trap nipple has a dip tube containing a thermoplastic ball which is lighter than water and floats to its seat when water flow stops.

A heavier than water ball in the hot water outlet heat trap sinks to its seat in the absence of flow or pressure.

These balls REDUCE heat loss when the water heater sits idle. They can be useful and do reduce heating costs... but they can also cause issues like yours had (they can also cause banging sounds when excessive pressure is present).

In your case, I would insulate the hot water pipe to say 5-10 feet off the water heater with pipe insulation... that should help to reduce some of the heat loss now that the heat trap nipples are out.

You did install a new dip tube... didn't you..?

Let me know... Mark

May 23, 2008, 06:46 AM
    Yes, I did re-install a new tube. The old one was about 2 inches long... the new one was about 3 feet long... It seems the hot water lasts longer now as well.. Thanks again. You're the best!
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 23, 2008, 12:34 PM
    Enjoyed working with you!

Take care.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore washer stopped with water in it [ 5 Answers ]

Washer stopped at the rinse cycle. Motor clicks to come on and immediately clicks off. This went on all night unbeknownst to me. What do I do?

Water heater leaking, then stopped. [ 7 Answers ]

My 20-year-old 40-gallon gas water heater has always worked fine with no problems until recently it began leaking out of the plastic valve on the side. It leaked slowly for about 3 weeks. At first the leak was maybe a cup per day, increasing to about 3 cups per day. I had a container catching the...

Low water pressure causing high blood pressure [ 1 Answers ]

I have low or no hot water pressure to the downstairs bathroom. I've replaced the cartridges, valves and hot water heater, still no pressure... help.

Cold water stopped? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was washing my dishes in the kitchen sink today and the hot water worked just fine, but the cold water was only a trickle. About an hour later, the hot water was fine, but when I went to run the cold water, an almost grinding noise came from the sink and the cold water did not work at all......

Low water pressure in an area known for high pressure [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings, My wife and I are in the process of updating 1957 side by side split level. The previous owner (OK, my Mom as I bought the house I grew up in from her) said that when they moved in they had to install a pressure reducer into the line. I have searched high and low but, I can't see...

View more questions Search