Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bmo0328 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2008, 09:02 AM
    Order in which statements have to be completed
    I have to do a classified income statement, statement of owner's equity, balance sheet, and then determine the amt of working capital and the current ratio. What do I have to start with? Do I need to do a trial balance first?
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

May 5, 2008, 10:32 PM
    Yes, you'd have to have a trial balance, or at least some kind of list of all the accounts and their balances. For a problem, they could list this any old way. (Alphabetically, randomly, whatever.) You obviously can't make any financial statements if you don't have numbers to work with.

It would help to know what level you're at. Even though all of these statements simply are what they are, how many components they have and how detailed they get will depend on how far along you are. Most textbooks introduce classified statements around the merchandising chapter. Here are some examples from around that level, but without knowing where you're at, I don't know if they're appropriate. You can see if these are similar to the information you have, and then ask more questions as necessary.

Multiple-Step Income Statement | AccountingCoach.com
    Sample Balance Sheet | AccountingCoach.com

(If you're just learning classified statements, that balance sheet may be a bit more complicated than what you need. Just leave out whatever you don't have. It's also for a corporation. The ending capital balance from the Stmt of OE would go in that spot.)

They don't have one for Statement of Owner's Equity, but it's basically just beginning balance, plus any additional investments, plus net income (from income statement), less withdrawals, equals ending balance.

Surely you also have examples of these in your book?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probation almost completed.what's next? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, In about a week I will be done with probation. For last couple of months, my PO has been active on my case meaning I have had more frequent visits, computer checked. I have been having sleepless nights as I haven't done anything and I would hate to go through anything again. Anyway my...

What after completed this course [ 1 Answers ]

I have got orcle application techincal ,developer6i,dba and sql server I wondering what I can get after all this subjuct I got online examination but I would the consltant lead me what is the next and I still donot have a job .as soon as possbile informe

Specified I/O operation not completed [ 3 Answers ]

I see the help here but want to understand what caused it. Currently I'm virus scanning an external hard drive (that is the HD out of my laptop). What I/O operation is it speaking of? The virus scan is still going on no problem - except that it's taking forever.

Financial Statements [ 1 Answers ]

Who are the internal and external users of a company's financial statements? For what purpose do they use this information?

A Tat Not Completed... Do I have To Pay? [ 5 Answers ]

Back in September of last year I had my first tattoo done. I got a bit over ambitious and decided to have it all done at once. It's a very intricate tat of a dragon fly inside a venus fly trap on my upper shoulder. The reason I chose the picture is because of the expression on the insects face....

View more questions Search