Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kerributterfly1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2008, 08:58 AM
    Is she gifted?
    Hi all,
    My youngest daughter is unusualy bright and still very curious at 12 years old, so I took her to the doctors and they gave her an IQ test, all I was told about it was that she has an IQ of 131. I don't know what this means as I was given no scale or any other information.
    She is achieving level 6A's in English, Math, Science and French and is always asking questions or making comments on things; 'I don't think the prime minister should have done that, maybe this would have worked better... ' etc, and I mean it isn't just gabber, she reay does have a point about the things she says.
    Whenever I ask her about school she says 'Boring, the usual' and goes to her room to read something or go on the internet. She doesn't seem to have many friends, though she isn't unpopular, My elder daughters seem to pick on her an unusual amount.
    Has anyone had a similar problem or knows why she might be behaving this way?

Thank you for reading

kerributterfly1
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2008, 09:00 AM
    Why not have the school test her to see if she's eligible for the gifted program?
    kerributterfly1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2008, 09:03 AM
    I just suggested it to her and she just shrugged and said she didn't want a fuss... shall I try anyway?
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2008, 09:05 AM
    Well, I would encourage her to try and take the test to at least see what her skills are... and if she doesn't want to join the gifted program after that, then fine, don't force her. If she's getting good grades and she's bored, she'll adjust better in the gifted program where students are intellectual as she is and school is more challenging.
    newlablover Posts: 120, Reputation: 10

May 25, 2008, 08:54 AM
    My daughter is in the gifted program ( in kindergarten currently) and they just tested her IQ, so I have the scale for IQ charting... 100-114 is normal, 115-130 is above average,(where most gifted are) and 131+ is superior. I would look into getting her into the gifted classes. SHe need intillectual stimulation and being bored with work that is too easy is just going to make her hate school because she won't have a reason to go because she isn't really learning anything. Good Luck
    wifemomteacher Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2008, 09:19 PM
    Your daughter sounds a lot like my son. He is also very intelligent, curious, & insightful. He also was very bored in school through grade 6 even though he was in all accelerated classes. Finally in 7th gr. He was given the opportunity to take 9th gr. Algebra, but he wasn't too thrilled with idea at first. I pushed a little and he took the class. For the first time he was challenged & he had to work just a little to get the A's. About half way through the year he started complaining about being in this gifted class and wanted out. He wanted out because he wasn't used to working for his grades and he wanted to be lazy. I made him stick it out and he ended the year with an A and he was proud of himself and happy that I had pushed.
    Kids this age don't like to work hard, but your daughter will probably be happier in the long run by being challenged. Get her in the gifted program!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gifted but. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I am 18 years old and have an IQ of 135. I was considered gifted ever since I was about 6. I was in enrichment programs and honors classes my whole life. I was also chosen, along with 20 other people, out of 2,000 or so to be in my colleges honor program. Anyway, I am here to say that I...

Is he Gifted? [ 5 Answers ]

Since the age of 3 my son has spoke of Religion or anything to do with Religious aspects. One day he told my husband and I Jesus was standing right behind him. Then he went into this detailed discription of how Jesus was crucified. He descriped how he had a "nest" on his head. He physically...

Gifted or not [ 10 Answers ]

My question is: I have a 6 year old daughter that I think is gifted... she started to walk at 9 -10 months old... went from sitting to walking... has been talking very clearly since 10 months and does everything ahead... I have told the school that I think she is gifted and nothing has been done...

Is my son gifted or not? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi can any one tell me if my 18month old son is girfted he sleeps inn a single bed doesn't like the cot we can understanted what he wants and he tell up what he what's he can tell us what a car a truck, motor bike and a plane are by the sound they make as they go pasted the house so is my son...

Gifted Assessments [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this. I think that my 15 year old daughter might be gifted but I don't know what to do about it. Do gifted children always do well on tests?Also, where is the best place to go to find out?Is one type of test better than another? I live in England...

View more questions Search