Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Carebear86 Posts: 19, Reputation: 3

May 5, 2008, 08:54 AM
    Maternity Leave
    Hello.

I am currently pregnant and very EXCITED! :)

My question is: How long to I have to go back to work after Maternity Leave so all my health insurance is covered? See my situation is my boyfriend and I aren't married, but we are putting the baby on his insurance once it's born so that wouldn't be a prob, just was wondering if I decided I didn't want to go back to work... just for how long I would so the insurance would cover all my hospital bills?

Thank you in advance! :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 5, 2008, 02:03 PM
    Ok, your boyfriends insurance is not going to cover the cost of the baby being born, he can ( if he is listed on the birth certificate or proves he is the father by DNA) add the baby to his insurance after the baby is born, but that will only cover costs after the baby is added.

To cover your having the baby, you have to be covered NOW, in fact you can not even get insurance ( unless it is group insurance) while you are pegnant.
    jef1056 Posts: 70, Reputation: 5

May 6, 2008, 08:10 AM
    If I understand your question. You want to know how long you can keep the employer sponsored group health plan you currently have. If you decide not to return to work after the baby is born. Follow MsMewiththat's advice in checking with your HR now, to see what they will allow and who will be paying for it.
    In addition to that, before the birth, you should.
    Have your boyfriend check with his insurance to be sure they will cover his newborn and how it needs to be done, name on the Birth certificate, etc. The size of the company and how they insure can affect how and who they will cover. Fully insured are regulated differently than self funded plans. If allowed you have a 30 day window, as a qualifying
    Event, to add the baby.
    Some states, carriers and/or companies allow domestic partners to be covered as a family. You may be able to be covered under his plan or he and the baby on yours. Keep in mind that you will be going from single coverage to dual or family option at much higher cost. Any time you can cover 2 adults and a child under one family plan that will be the least expensive way to go.
    Typically a mothers insurance will cover the birth and cover the newborn until discharged from the hospital, check with your insurance to confirm. Worst case you, and your newborn could continue under COBRA with your current, soon to be Ex employer.
    Check with the hospital to be sure all departments will accept your insurance. Your Doc, and the hospital may, Radiology and Anesthesiology may not.

Check in advance and be sure to speak with your carrier directly. Ultimately you are responsible to pay, no matter what HR, the Doctor or Hospital tell you.

Just some of the things you can look for

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maternity leave [ 3 Answers ]

Me and my husband are trying for a baby and I'm just wondering if I should get a insurance out when I'm pregnant to cover maternity leave.Its just that we are both self employed and I have not long started my business and I think we will need all the help we could get.. Does anyone know of any...

Cute maternity clothes? [ 3 Answers ]

I can't find any cute maternity clothes online. I don't live near a mall or anything. Im pretty young and don't have a LOT of money to spend.. does anyone know any good sights? Thanks

Maternity rights [ 10 Answers ]

Can anyone please tell me is it OK for my employer to ask me for an indication as to when I'm going back when my daughter is only 11 weeks old??

2nd mortgage and maternity leave [ 3 Answers ]

A few weeks ago, I filled out an application to borrow from the equity in my house. I wasn't approved at first, but then they did something they called a "reserve" plan, at which my interest rate was higher and then approved me. I am currently on maternity leave, but I go back on December 7th. My...

Back to work after maternity leave... [ 3 Answers ]

Please help - I am a new mum and have just gotten back to work after raising my daughter to 6 months. I loved ever minute of it and would love to be a full-time mum but we just can't afford it :(( I know so many others have gone through this and I really need help.My little girl goes to a...

View more questions Search