Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amez07 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2008, 05:18 AM
    Sustainable farming
    How much grass is needed to produce a dozen eggs on an 100 acre farm?
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2008, 05:26 AM
    None. Chickens don't eat grass, they eat grains, and insects if they can find them. The acreage of the farm they're on is irrelevant. Do you want to rephrase your question?
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2008, 09:58 AM
    amez07 disagrees: although chickens don't feed on grass they do contribute to sustainable farming
    Yes, they can, if managed correctly. But your question wasn't, "Do chickens contribute to sustainable farming?", it was, "How much grass does it take to produce a dozen eggs?". The answer to that question is "None".

Do you want to ask a different question?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2008, 10:15 AM
    Actually these free range chicken farmers raise what is called "Pasture poultry "and they feed on the grass as well as insects and grain . What the farmer does is put them in movable top only cages so they can feed off the land .The chickens in return fertilize the land they have been on that day.

http://www.lionsgrip.com/pastured.html

These chickens as far as I can tell are raised for slaughter so I can't help with the acreage to egg ratio.

Maybe this book will help
    Amazon.com: Pastured Poultry Profits: Joel Salatin: Books

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Explanation of the case of Lee v Lee's Air Farming [ 2 Answers ]

Hello evryone, I'm marjurie.. I have a subject called corporate law and I have a presentation on the 27th of February about the case of lee v lee's air farming. I'm hoping for your kind response to this.. thank you..

How to Calculate Sustainable Growth Rate [ 1 Answers ]

How do you calculate Sustainable Growth Rate when you have: Total Assets = $600 Equity = $400 Net Income = $150 Dividends = $45 Earnings Retained = $105 I calculated the plowback ratio to be .5714 based on dividends and earnings retained.

About lee v lee's air farming 1955 [ 1 Answers ]

About lee v lee's air farming 1955?

What were the facts in Lee Vs Lee's Air Farming and what did court hold? [ 2 Answers ]

I want to obtain full facts about the above case and what was actually held by court. The results of the appeal, if any.

Agriculture and farming [ 2 Answers ]

How can I GET a grant for livestock and farming equipment?

View more questions Search