Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drfrye Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2008, 11:58 AM
    High school scholarships and grants?
    Hi all,

I am writing to find out where I might apply for my daughter's education via grants and financial aid for high schoolers.

My daughter is currently in 8th grade at Waldorf school and we are looking forward to high schooling. The public schools in our area are NOT good, so private is really the only alternative but very expensive.

Does anyone have suggestions, links for where to apply or get more information from US government, California Government, Private sources for Grants and scholarships that she may apply for.

We are in-between need based and unsure about merit based due to Waldorf not giving written grades in K-8.

I appreciate any ideas or help in this matter.

-f
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 4, 2008, 05:54 PM
    In the US there is no grants for high school, and no public assistance what so ever. The school may offer a few grants and other payment plans.
    But this is part of the issue with American education system, if your school is bad ( and more and more are) you have little choice if you can't afford to pay the bill. Many parents work second jobs, cut out cable TV, eating out and more to afford a better school for their children.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 5, 2008, 08:31 AM
    Many private schools offer financial assistance - often in the form of partial scholarships or extended payment plans. As you consider various schools ask whether such opportunities are available.
    jenny lynn Posts: 20, Reputation: 3

May 5, 2008, 03:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by drfrye
    Hi all,

I am writing to find out where I might apply for my daughter's education via grants and financial aid for high schoolers.

My daughter is currently in 8th grade at Waldorf school and we are looking forward to high schooling. The public schools in our area are NOT good, so private is really the only alternative but very expensive.

Does anyone have suggestions, links for where to apply or get more information from US government, California Government, Private sources for Grants and scholarships that she may apply for.

We are in-between need based and unsure about merit based due to Waldorf not giving written grades in K-8.

I appreciate any ideas or help in this matter.

-f
    Hi DrFrye,
    This question and situation is popping up more and more frequently these days. I certainly can understand your dilemma , I have four children ages 4-11 that I also have in a great private faith-based school, but it's getting harder and harder to keep them there.
    Anyway, Here are my suggestions as a professional grant researcher/writer.

1) Inquire at your child's school if they will consider "bartering" for your service. Many schools are now moving to programs like this in order to keep those warm bodies in their halls. Ex. Maybe you could teach a class in your field or mow the lawn or write all the schools Public Service Announcements for the year, and get a 50% discount!
    2) Church. Check with your church if you are a member of one, to see if they will "support" your child's attendance for a semester. Again, be prepared to offer your services in return... have a proposal ready. Some churches even have their own in-house "Funds" ex. Swenson Fund (1st Presbyterian) or the Catholic Community Educational Scholarships to support individuals and noteworthy causes.
    free grants Posts: 46, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2008, 12:41 AM
    And if you are looking for grants and scholarships for your high school education, this websites could help you
    Scholarships For High School Students
    High School Student Loans - Private High School Loans, Financial Aid For College
    Grants.gov
    https://studentaid.ed.gov/students/p...FSA_grants.htm

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where can I find grants and/or scholarships for private high schools? [ 4 Answers ]

I am looking for sources for grants or scholarships for private high schools as well as private elementary school education and all I see is stuff for college. Any thoughts as to where I can go?

Scholarships for private high school? [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I find schalorships for private high school?

Scholarships or grants for private high schools [ 1 Answers ]

Are there scholarships or grants for private high schools available? My son is Hispanic, adopted, a very gifted athlete, takes honors classes and is on the honor roll. He starts high school in August of 08.

Private High School Financial Aid & Grants [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We're looking to send our son to a private high school next year. Does anyone out there Know of any websites that can help us with financial aid, scholarships or grants that might be available? Thanks! Gayleann

View more questions Search