Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chcpulv Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2008, 09:24 AM
    Lookng for home health care tips for fiance's mom who has a replaced hip that no long
    We are seeking advice to help us take care of my fiance's mother. She is 92 and has had 4 hip replacements in her life, 3 on one hip. It is that hip that is causing the most problems now. Recently, after sitting for a while, when she tries to rise from the chair and walk she is unable to do so because the hip will not hold properly in its socket. She is a trooper, but I can tell she is in excruciating paid. She doesn't want to move to a nursing home, nor do we want her to do that. We are looking for any guidance or tips on how to help her and to provide better care for her. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 6, 2008, 02:54 PM
    Sounds to me like she should have a wheel chair if her hips are that bad. Her doctor should be managing her pain. But then the wheel chair accessibility in the home is a problem if you have narrow doors. There are reclining chairs available that are fully automatic and will tilt to asist her out of the chair at the press of a button. Its hard to say without seeing how she manages on a day to day basis and her range of motion to assist her sitting, lying, reclining, etc.

You could get her support workers to come in during the day to help her out. She must have a problem managing the bathroom and there again, there are special commodes to put on the toilet that would be as high as she needs seeing as the hips are a problem.

I don't know how the nursing homes are managed where you are, costs, etc. but sometimes if you have a decent one they are the perfect answer for lowered capabilities and if you both work, then yes, it is a problem managing.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 6, 2008, 04:34 PM
    Lift chair, electric power chair comes to mind
    brteeyez Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2008, 10:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chcpulv
    We are seeking advice to help us take care of my fiance's mother. She is 92 and has had 4 hip replacements in her life, 3 on one hip. It is that hip that is causing the most problems now. Recently, after sitting for a while, when she tries to rise from the chair and walk she is unable to do so because the hip will not hold properly in its socket. She is a trooper, but I can tell she is in excruciating paid. She doesn't want to move to a nursing home, nor do we want her to do that. We are looking for any guidance or tips on how to help her and to provide better care for her. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    If she is having that much problem you should talk to her DR and see about getting a lift chair, hospital bed, and wheel chair for her. This all is covered under medicare. If you are not sure how to obtain these things you can go to your nearest medical supply store and they should be able to help you with your needs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home Health Care/Providing Substance to Patient [ 5 Answers ]

I am aware of an individual who is suppose to provide home health aid service to a patient. This individual provides and administers alcohol to the patient as a tradeoff for providing limited care to the patient. What are the legal reprocussions if this individual who is employed is found to be...

Health care [ 1 Answers ]

What is the side effect of taking glutathione while taking hypertension maintenance medication

Forget Hillary care, what about School-Based "Health Care?" [ 37 Answers ]

Middle school in Maine to offer birth control pills, patches to pupils When I was in school about the only good school "health care" was for was a bandaid, an excuse to skip a class or a pan to puke in. What on earth (or in the constitution) gives public schools the right to prescribe drugs...

Health care [ 4 Answers ]

Elements of communication Barriers of communication

View more questions Search