Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    layne Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2004, 08:13 AM
    A/C wire loose (pic)
    I have a picture of the furnace switch board here.
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/laynev...&.dnm=f165.jpg

Had an air duct company cleaned duct yesterday and found out the guy made a mess. 3 wires in the furnace switch are loose. Gas furnace model is 58GS075-GA (CA?)

RED and GREEN wires from the thermostat.
    CLAY (WHITE?) wire from A/C.

I put the thermostat wires back as RED ->RED, GREEN ->GC. The furnace seems working OK. But how about the CLAY wire from A/C?

On the switch board I have: C, Y, GC, GH, R, W.
    The red wire from A/C is connected to Y on switch board.

================
    I was guessing GC is Green Cool? Should I connect the CLAY from AC to GC, and the GREEN wire from thermostat to GH (Green Hot?).

I'm totally new and would appreciate any help.
    -Layne
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2004, 10:48 AM
    Re: A/C wire loose (pic)
    Usually there is a 24 volt AC transformer in the furnace with the secondary winding connected to a red wire running to the thermostat and a blue wire to the gas valve, A/C relay, and fan relay. From the thermostat there will be white wire to the gas valve, yellow to the A/C, and green to the fan. The thermostat is wired to switch the power from the red to the white, yellow, and green as needed with the blue completing the circuit. It may be wired to have the control wires return to the furnace and its controls and then a second wire goes to the A/C unit. Internal wiring may replace the green wire if the thermostat does not give you the option of fan only or continuous fan.

The picture helps. Do you know where the heavier red wire on the left now connected to C goes? I suspect C is the common with the gas valve and fan relay connected to it internally. If you can find either of them check the second wire, not the white or green and see if it connects to C. You can also check to see if it connects to the opposite terminal on the transformer from the wire that connects to the R, red. If the furnace, fan and all, work right, you have the red, green, and white from the thermostat connected correctly. If you unscrew the C terminal, you may find the broken off end of the clay wire.

I sort of feel the duct cleaning company should be told come back as straighten their mess. On the other hand you may be better off fixing it with my help than letting them make a bigger mess.
    layne Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2004, 11:52 AM
    A/C wire loose (pic)
    Thanks Labman. Problem solved.

I complained to the cleanning company and was told to wait for their tech guy call back. And you are faster replying. What a shame for them.

The Thick Red line does go back into the back of furnace. I can not tell where it goes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Janitrol 7 wire to Honeywell RTH230B 5 wire [ 3 Answers ]

I currently have a Janitrol digital thermostat. I can't read the model #. It has 8 terminals and 7 wires hooked up. Terminal - Color Y - Yellow Com - Blue R - Red G - Green w2 - Looks white E/w3 - Looks pink O - Orange B - Nothing

Neutral wire is hot(has voltage potential like the black wire) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, The problem started at midnight last week. One of my line in the basement is starting to have issue whenever I connect a water pump or appliances to the outlets. Before I plug the appliance in, the neutral is neutral(zero voltage), but when I plug the appliance in, the neutral is now...

3-wire home, 3-wire fan, 2-wire remote [ 9 Answers ]

Greetings, My home is 3-wire. I bought a Hunter ceiling fan (model 23811). The fan came with a remote assy. That I do NOT want to use... The fan has standard 3-wire connections (black, white, blk&white strip, ground). The remote receiver home-side wiring looks to be for 2-wire (blk and white)....

4 wire home service entrance wire size [ 1 Answers ]

Mobile home requires 4 wire electrical service entrance wire. Distance is 160 foot from meter to breaker panel. 220V service. What size wire do I use? Can I use diff. size for neutral and ground?

2 Wire White-Rogers with no wallplate wire question [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there. I want to replace my current White-Rogers 1E56W309 thermostat with a new Honeywell RTH7500D. The problem is that the tools that installed my high efficiency furnace didn't install the wall plate with my thermostat (it was a new house and the builder contracted these guys). Instead,...

View more questions Search