Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    canuck Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2006, 12:09 PM
    Shower stall problem still
    Wow first never do this for a favor for a friend.she hired a contractor to install a corner shower stall and just won't stop leaking. First he just put shower stall right on floor. So I guess that's why its leaking it has give in floor which pulls it down from frame and makes it leak from. Soaks dry wall and floor so anyway what do we do put plastic down then sand mix(how much of a pitch do you need so it will drain)then do we just put shower floor back on and that's it? Store tells me we have to put tile?why if we are putting shower stall in thanks.this will be the 3rd time we are doing this shower stall I want it to be the last. Its costing my hubby his time seeing this is a favor.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 20, 2006, 12:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck
    wow first never do this for a favor for a friend.she hired a contractor to install a corner shower stall and just wont stop leaking. First he just put shower stall right on floor. so i guess thats why its leaking it has give in floor which pulls it down from frame and makes it leak from. soaks dry wall and floor so anyway what do we do put plastic down then sand mix(how much of a pitch do you need so it will drain)then do we just put shower floor back on and thats it? store tells me we have to put tile?why if we are putting shower stall in thanks.this will be the 3rd time we are doing this shower stall i want it to be the last. its costing my hubby his time seeing this is a favor.
    Whoa! You're attempting to install a custom tile shower over a manufactured shower base that gives when you step on it? Please tell me I have this wrong. Or is this a tile shower that was installed on a floor that gave when you walked on it? I don't really understand your question so let's start with.
    Is this a custom tile shower or a manufactured shower base? Our conversation stops until I know what I'm talking about. I'll wait on your explanation. Regards, Tom

Feb 20, 2006, 12:53 PM
    Sorry no it is a shower stall from store. Plastic bottom 2 walls and glass,the store told me when you install these you have to put plastic then sand mix then tile why I don't understand, then he said put plastic shower base? I asked my brother and he said there something you can buy tray I think to put sand mix in and then put shower floor on that and let it set he said mike holmes uses it a lot ? Thanks
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Feb 20, 2006, 01:09 PM
    she hired a contractor to install a corner shower stall and just wont stop leaking.

<SNIP>
    HOLD IT! Stop right there! If you hired a contractor and he screwed up, there is no need to have to redo it yourself. Have the contractor come back and fix it up AT NO EXPENSE TO YOU (OR YOUR FRIEND). If he got paid to do something, he had damn well better do it right. If he refuses, report him.

At the very least, your friend should get a full refund (if not more) from this so-called contractor.

Now, let's analyze your problem, so you can know what to look out for. Are you saying that he just "parked" the shower on the floor of the room, without laying mortar to support it - or even somehow attaching it to the floor using caulk or something?

And one more thing: I really don't mean to be rude or offensive in any way, but please try to use more puctuation marks (at least the basic ones, like commas) in any future posts. I'm not trying to be nitpicky; it's just that it really makes a big difference in trying to understand what you are telling us. For example, "i asked my brother and he said there something you can buy tray i think to put sand mix in and then put shower floor on that and let it set he said mike holmes uses it alot" is quite difficult to make sense of since it lacks punctuation.

Cheers,
    Moishe
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 20, 2006, 01:14 PM
    sorry no it is a shower stall from store. plastic bottom 2 walls and glass,the store told me when you install these you have to put plastic then sand mix then tile why i dont understand, then he said put plastic shower base? i asked my brother and he said there something you can buy tray i think to put sand mix in and then put shower floor on that and let it set he said mike holmes uses it alot ? thanks
    OK! Now it's beganing to make sense. It goes like this. First lay plastic down so the mix won't drip down through your ceiling
    Then you puddle sand/cement mix or mortar under where you will set the base. Make the piles higher then the bottom of the base so it will squish down when the base is set on top of it. Spread the piles around the drain so it gets good support and at regular intervals around where you will stand.
    Now set the base and squish down the piles. If you can glue the drain in without putting weight on the shower floor go ahead but DO NOT PUT ANY WEIGHT ON THE SHOWER FLOOR Until THE CEMENT/MORTAR SETS UP.
    We have never used a plastic tray to set out cement/mortar mix in but it sounds like a god idea. And who is Mike Holmes? Regards, tom
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Feb 20, 2006, 01:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    And who is Mike Holmes?
    Wikipedia is your friend, Tom. Or at least it should be. ;)

Anyway, I find the third paragraph of that article particularly interesting. ;)

Cheers,
    Moishe

Feb 20, 2006, 01:45 PM
    Thanks for the info. So then we don't tile right. Mike Holmes he's a hereo for home owners,he fixes contractors messes. He's on HGTV. Ontario show type his name in search your find him.Very smart. I think he knows everything. And if he doesn't he gets someone who does. Like he says you do it right the first time,will save you thousands in the long run.check him out
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 20, 2006, 01:56 PM
    Hi Canuck,
    "so then we dont tile right? The store told me when you install these you have to put plastic then sand mix then tile."
    There's a reason that big box store guys aren't out there doing plumbing and installing showers. Because they're not plumbers that's why. Regards, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing shower stall [ 13 Answers ]

I am installing a shower stall in a basment bathroom that was here before I moved in. the floor drain is already in concrete and the walls are already there. My question is all the shower stalls I have found do not have the drain in the right place to drain straight down. Can I build up the shower...

From tub to shower stall [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I will be remodeling my bathroom soon and will be converting from a tub to a shower stall. It is ground level on a cement slab. My question is should I have to move the drain at all or can I pour and form a drain pan with the drain in it's current "tub standard" position/distance from wall?

Stall Shower Leak [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a 3 level townhome built in the 70s. It seems that my 2nd floor shower is leaking water into the ceiling of the kitchen directly below it. The shower drain appears to be plastic (black) with a rubber ring around it. To date I've used 100% silicone around the ring in an attempt to seal...

Turning walking shower stall into bathtub/shower combo. [ 4 Answers ]

Question: Current shower drain (2" pipe) runs 5 feet, under slab, to vent stack (5" cast iron vent pipe) of toilet. Will need to move the drain 3ft to wall for new tub. After moving the drain, the complete length of the pipe will still be around 5 feet. We will have to reduce the drain line...

Shower stall base [ 3 Answers ]

I purchased a house with an unfinished half bath. The shower base was not installed. There is a cast iron pipe coming up through the slab.there is a drain leaded into the pipe with a flange and a liner that is cut off,and a threaded 2" drain screwed into it,it has been there a long time and I...

View more questions Search