Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Catseyes Posts: 51, Reputation: 5

Feb 20, 2006, 11:56 AM
    Foreign accounts
    I do not understand the purpose of form 90-22.1 (foreign accounts).

It says to report foreign accounts if their aggregate value is >$10,000 .( I have a GC, so I have to report my worldwide income ). But, in Schedule B for form 1040, one just mentions " yes, I do have a foreign bank account in a given country". (it does not ask how much interest was made, so it does not include it in the taxable interests)

However, it does not say how much tax one would have to pay.
    Does that mean one does not pay taxes on foreign interest ( but then, why bother the paperwork ? :rolleyes:? (just kidding)). Or does that mean that one receives a bill later ?

For example:
    let's say one has two accounts: 5,000 + 10,000 =15,000 > 10,000 => has to file the form.
    this persons fillsout the form and sends it to Detroit, MI ( see instructions).
    And then, what happens ?

Thanks for your inputs.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 20, 2006, 06:58 PM
    Cateyes:

The form is used to help the IRS track worldwide income. If you check off the Yes by the Foreign bank account question, it informs the IRS to look via other means for your account information in those foreign bank accounts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Estate accounts. & tax no. [ 3 Answers ]

My brother is the exector of my aunts estate. He has a joint checking account. The aunt died. Before she died she sent in forms to sell 9 different stocks. If my brother calls the IRS for a tax no. and they give him one. Can he start putting in the stock checks in the bank and start use the money...

Accounts Payable [ 2 Answers ]

What are the job duties for an Accounts Payable Position?

T accounts [ 2 Answers ]

I am having trouble putting together these T accounts: A invested 16000 from personal account B bought delivery trucks on account 1800 C bought office equipment for cash 600 D paid advertising 250 E collected cash for delivery 2600 F paid salaries 900 G paid gas for trucks 1200 H performed...

Bad Checking Accounts [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I received a phone call from a law firm re: a balance that I owe on a bad checking account. The gentleman told me that he was giving me a chance to pay voluntarily before they garnish my wages. Is a collector authorized to garnish my wages for a bad checking account?

Where do these Accounts go? [ 2 Answers ]

I have to prepare financial statements for an assignment and I was wondering on which statements these accounts are relevant and reported and what are they classified as(revenue, expense, liability, asset etc. ) Provision for Loss Accumulated Depreciation Allowance for Doubtful Accounts Any...

View more questions Search