Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gmwthree Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

May 3, 2008, 01:47 PM
    identifying hallmark for a native american silversmith
    Several months ago my wife bought a belt buckle at a garage sale. It is fairly ornate with two bear claws, three pieces of turquoise ranging in size from the size of my thumbnail to the size of my index fingernail and two pieces of red coral. My first assumption on the bear claws was that they were plastic. However, on closer examination, I've determined that they are real bear claws. Total weight of the buckle is 90 grams.

On the back, there is a hallmark very near the word "Sterling" which we first thought was an "M". Just above "Sterling", there are additional letters which are very faint and very difficult to make out.

When I researched the buckle on the web, I was, at one point, fairly certain that, since the hallmark appears to be a fancy "M", the silversmith must be "M. Thomas, Jr.". The silver work on the buckle, the bear claw placement and the stones used are all very consistent with his style. Unfortunately, (or fortunately, since I haven't lied to anyone about what I thought I knew, yet) I found an M. Thomas, Jr.s piece online last night which showed his hallmark. It is nothing like the hallmark on our piece.

I would like to sell this buckle but, now I can't figure out who made it. Without that information, it is very difficult to find the value. So, I am having to research that hallmark. Last night I took some fairly high-resolution close-up pictures of the hallmark and the faint writing above the "sterling" mark. After downloading the pictures, I was able to zoom in to over 200% of original photo size without losing a lot of clarity. I now believe the hallmark could be the initials "gn" or, maybe, "gm". The lettering above "sterling" begin with what appears to be a "g" followed by what looks like an "n", then an "O", then maybe an "m". Beyond that, it is difficult to make out anything further.

I have attached a photo of the hallmark, the sterling stamp and the additional writing. Hopefully, that will help.

Does anyone know where I could Google to identify and, possibly, value this buckle?

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images

Kelly Gorrie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2009, 12:07 PM
    I inherited 2 silver bracelets. Both have a bear hallmark. I was wonderng who the artist is. They are at least 50 yrs old
    2hawks Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2009, 05:50 PM
    @gmwthree: I know nothing of hallmark idents, but I found your post interesting and thought I'd chime in..

The stamp/mark appears to me to be GH, and the following part appears to be something along the lines of...
    GHomc
    GHonic
    GHoinc
    ... where the last c is strictly a guess, but the other letters are valid possibilities as it appears to me.

Its as if the originator may be G. Ho... kind of like that.

The only reason I post is maybe it will help someone else who's more of an expert who may happen to look at it and it may strike them in the brain.

One question that I cannot escape is... does any authentic native jewelry ever have 'sterling' stamped on it?
    2hawks Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2009, 06:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 2hawks View Post
    @gmwthree:
    <snip>One question that I cannot escape is ...does any authentic native jewelry ever have 'sterling' stamped on it??
    After further research I note that 'sterling' indeed appears on some authentic native american jewelry I could find.

I would be interested if anyone knowledgeable would comment on this, i.e. why/how that comes about in the course of the artist's process with their jewelry.

Thanks,
    TwoHawks
    Jexpress3598 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2009, 09:41 AM

I have a man torqouise and coral ring set in silver markede RBP on the inside. Any information on this artist would be helpful.

Thanks. AA
    cekiya Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2009, 03:57 PM
    I believe that your belt buckle is by NAVAJO silversmith, MIKE THOMAS, JR. Currently there are several Mike Thomas items listed on Ebay but one in particular will interest you as it sounds similar to your belt buckle and shows a good picture of the hallmark. The item number is: 230383674257. If you do a Google search on Mike Thomas Sterling Silver Jewelry (or variations) you should come up with several hits and examples of his work, a good idea of prices etc. Hopefully this information will be of help.
    cekiya Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2009, 03:59 PM

Oops.. sorry, this my first time posting and it looks like I am more than a bit late!
    tumbleweeds Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2009, 06:24 PM

I currently have a buckle like the one you described for sale on my website. (I sell authentic Native American jewelry). It was made by Navajo, M Thomas Jr. The retail price for a new buckle like this one is $225 to $275. The hallmark is identical to the one you have pictured. BELTS, BUCKLES & BOLOS - BELTS, BUCKLES & BOLOS - GENUINE BEAR CLAW NAVAJO MADE STERLING SILVER BELT BUCKLE
    L Jones USMC Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2011, 09:21 AM
    I have several pieces of M Thomas Jr Indian jewelry. The signature is the same as on yours. The signature on mine are very clear and the M is the same of yours is the same. I have a friend in New Mexico who id a Navaho and knows M Thomas Jr. He has looked at what I have ans says they are M Thomas Jr and has also gotten several pieces from him for me. I would say that what is "M Thomas Jr". None of mine are for sale at any price.

Lonnie Jones
    [email protected]
    Thunderhouse Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2013, 12:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by L Jones USMC View Post
    I have several pieces of M Thomas Jr Indian jewelry. The signature is the same as on yours. The signature on mine are very clear and the M is the same of yours is the same. I have a friend in New Mexico who id a Navaho and knows M Thomas Junior He has looked at what I have ans says they are M Thomas Jr and has also gotten several pieces from him for me. I would say that what is "M Thomas Jr". None of mine are for sale at any price.

Lonnie Jones
    [email protected]
    I would love to find out more about this artist because I have a few pieces from him as well including a very wide bracelet that is unique. I've seen a few just like it but mine is also different from the others I've seen with one major difference that sets it apart which makes me wonder if it was maybe one of the first ones he put out with that design. I am hoping you would be willing to contact your friend who knows him if I provide you with some images of the bracelet. It's a cuff bracelet 3" wide

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Native American silversmith [ 3 Answers ]

I have a lovely turquoise and silver watch band which is signed "Whirling Wind." Does anyone know anything about this artist? I think it's a Navaho piece. Thanks

Several Native Amer. Pieces jewelry Hallmark info sought [ 3 Answers ]

I have two rings bearing the inscribed initials "KRB" which is circa '70's by unknown Navajo silversmith as far as I can tell, does anyone know more about this particular silversmith. Another ring bears the inscription "BY-LUCKY","4-79" Another Zuni ring bears the hallmark "R" and what is...

Silversmith Hallmark [ 5 Answers ]

Can you tell me anything about the silversmith hallmark S&B PLATERO?:confused:

Identifying signature/hallmark on vintage Navajo bolo. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Have recently bought a silver bolo which I believe is Navajo in origin. I was told it was at least 60 years old. Quite large it measures 3 1/2 x 2 3/4 inches and weighs on a postal scale 120 grams. The front is set with pieces of coral and turquoise and in the center is a dimensional figure...

View more questions Search