Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dandl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2008, 12:14 PM
    Painting kitchen cabinets
    I have plain jane oak kitchen cabinets that I want to paint white. I'm not sure what kind of paint I need to use. I would rather use latex but didn't know how well that would hold up. Plus if I use latex paint what kind of primer would I need to use? I'm wanting to spray this paint on with paint sprayer but didn't know if latex paint had to be thinned to spray. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

May 3, 2008, 07:31 PM
    If it were me I would scuff them well with sand paper and then prime them with an oil based primer then use a quality latex paint as far as whether you'll need to thin the paint will depend on what type of sprayer your using and the paint. Most paints and primers have instructions for thinning depending on your sprayer tip. If I've missed anything post back . GOOD LUCK, AC
    gmwthree Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

May 3, 2008, 07:57 PM
    I'm with ac101. Definitely sand the surface well and wipe down with a "tack cloth" ($2.00 at local hardware) just prior to priming. Personally, I also do a light sanding and tack-cloth wipe in between coats as well. You don't want to be re-painting again in three to five years, do you?

However, there is a strong move away from oil-based paints because of the environment. I'm a home builder and I can tell you that I haven't seen a new home get oil-based paint or primer in some time, inside or out. You can spray prime with a good quality latex primer and then spray your latex paint to finish your cabinets.

One word of caution. Although what I've outlined works very well, what we have lost by moving to latex primer, in my opinion, is the richness and depth of the final finish. Most people today don't see the difference but, I've been around this business for thirty-plus years. For the very best finish, an oil-based primer cannot be beat. But the environment pays, heavily.

No matter which way you go, don't scrimp on the quality of your paint and you will be happy with your new kitchen!!

Best of luck!
    gmwthree
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

May 3, 2008, 08:06 PM
    I agree with gmwthree about oils and environment and the reason I suggested oil instead of latex is that I do not know what if any finish is currently on the cabinets if the are new unfinished I would follow gmwthree's advice and I forgot to mention the tack cloth, well worth the effort. The only time I still use oil based primer is painting over previously stained or urethaned surfaces other than that its latex. One last thing if you use oil based primer be sure to open windows or other wise ventilate the odor is strong for most people.

GOOD LUCK, AC
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 4, 2008, 06:47 AM
    I can appreciate all of the excellent advice that has been happening here, and will have further things to add, depending on what the responses are. But, what I would like to know is why you are wanting to paint over oak cabinets, please? Are they already painted? Do you not want to refinish them with maybe a stain and clear coat of some kind? I'm just curious and not trying to be judgmental in any way. I am a painter and also a finisher and refinisher. Thanks!
    Shell_Lee Posts: 83, Reputation: 10

May 5, 2008, 06:56 AM
    You should also look into getting Trisodium phosphate (TSP) to clean the cabinets before any kind of painting. It is a degreaser used to prepare the surface for painting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Painting kitchen cabinets [ 1 Answers ]

I have heard that painting kitchen cabinets with automotive paint is the new style and getting more popular as time goes bye. I also want to paint my wooden kitchen cabinets with automotive paint. I want to know how I can prepare the doors and drawers for painting. I want the doors to be smooth...

Painting Old Kitchen Cabinets [ 3 Answers ]

The cabinets in my rental apartment are dark brown from the 1970's looks like a satin finish probably some kind of varnish. The cabinets are in good condition with no peeling. I want to paint them white & avoid a lot of work like stripping or heavy sanding. What kind of primer & paint I should use...

Painting veneered kitchen cabinets [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking to freshen up kitchen cabinets with paint. Cabinets are veneered wood outside surface.

Painting kitchen cabinets [ 1 Answers ]

Our kitchen cabinets are dark brown and I believe are made of formica. What is the best way to paint them? Do we need to use a deglosser on them? What is the best primer and paint to use? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Painting Kitchen Cabinets [ 4 Answers ]

:( Two weeks ago, I decided to paint my kitchen cabinets. Unfortunately, I misread the directions I had obtained searching on the internet. I cleaned the cabinets really well with a degreaser, removed them all. My husband added trim. I sanded the new trim but didn’t sand the old varnish that was on...

View more questions Search