Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cj_deschamps Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2008, 11:08 AM
    heating a garage
    Hi,

I have a 50x20 garage which the previous owner heated with propane. I'm trying to evaluate whether I can switch to two floor forced air industrial type electric heaters, drawing about 25 amps each. The garage is supplied by #8/3 wire and is located about 75' from the house.

Any help?

Thank you.
    aldematt57 Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

May 3, 2008, 11:12 AM
    #8 copper will easily handle 25 amps.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 4, 2008, 07:29 AM
    Since you mention TWO heaters at "about" 25 amps each, the total load will be "about" 50 amps, and the #8-3 is only rated for 50 amps maximum.

The feeder wire needs to be rated at 125% of the total actual amp load of the heaters.

A #4 copper wire feeder on a 70 amp breaker will be needed to serve both heaters running at the same time.

When sizing the circuit, find the actual nameplate data listing the actual wattage or amperage.

"About" does not cut it.
    aldematt57 Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

May 4, 2008, 09:36 AM
    Why not just use the existing #8 wire for one side and run another wire for the other heater?
    If the amp draw is 25A, you could use #10 copper for the other side.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

May 4, 2008, 10:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by aldematt57
    Why not just use the existing #8 wire for one side and run another wire for the other heater?
    If the amp draw is 25A, you could use #10 copper for the other side.
    Because it is not legal to run more than one circuit to a detached structure.
    The correct thing to do is run a larger feeder as TK suggested.
    A #4cu feeder would be good for 90 or 100 amps depending on your location.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

May 4, 2008, 01:06 PM
    Energy saving thought for you. Since you have propane available consider a propane fired radiant tube OR panel heater.
    They heat only objects for the most part just like the sun.
    They are the cheapest way to heat large areas and very simple to install.

Gas Fired Infra-Red Radiant Heaters

Ambi-Rad - Gas Fired Low Intensity Infrared Heating Systems

Infrared Radiant Gas Heaters by Space-Ray - Charlotte, NC USA

A cheap way to find heaters

Radiant Unvented Commercial Gas Heater by Dayton - NR - eBay (item 160236788472 end time May-05-08 22:28:43 PDT)

Sunstar 45K Nat Gas Radiant Infrared Tube Garage Heater - eBay (item 140229337666 end time May-11-08 02:22:33 PDT)

Some are available vented or non vented. My shop years ago installed many thousands of feet of this type of heat and there were never complaints. We usually replaced standard ceiling blower type gas or electric heaters and the energy saving was fantastic. The occupants also liked it because it heated them more than it heated the air which kept them warm in the warehouse or shop.

The money you will spend on the electric wire,electric panel,grounding and bonding of the detached metal building if it is metal can be used for the purchase of the heaters and the install. The heaters use very little electric usually less than one amp per unit just to control the gas valve so the electric you have in the building now can be used. You will have to run a gas line to the units and the copper/black iron will cost some $$ but the use of radiant gas fired units will quickly pay back not only that cost but will save you $$ every time you use them.

I know this is not a direct answer to your question but I thought I would offer this info just in case you have not considered this energy saving option.

Good luck with your project.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carrier heating unit --fan won't work with heating [ 6 Answers ]

I have a carrier heating unit installed in 2000... it worked fine since then but now... fan will work if we turn it ON by itself... but if we turn on auto heat then heater goes on (blower like sound) but fan doesn't force the air into the house... if we turn off the heat... fan comes on...

Cost of converting electric heating to gas heating [ 2 Answers ]

I am buying a house with electric heat. I have heard it can be a lot more expensive than gas. What would be the cost of converting the house to gas heating and a/c?

From Pouring Garage Pad to Construction of Garage [ 4 Answers ]

How long to you have to wait after pouring the cement garage pad before you can begin construction on the garage?

Adding heating/ac to the garage [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to add AC and possibly heat to my garage so that I can work there. There seems to be two choices: (1) add a portable unit, or (2) extend the duct system from my house. I still need to be able to open and close the garage door so the garage is not energy efficient. Does anyone have...

View more questions Search