Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chutz Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2008, 10:39 AM
    J-1 visa tax exemption, change status to H-1B visa?
    Hello,

I'm from Thailand and holding J-1 visa. For J-1 visa I can exempt tax for 2 years.
    I'm wondering how's tax payment after 2 years in two different status.

1. If I extend J-1 visa, do I need to pay tax back for the first two years?

2. If I change to H-1B, do I need to pay tax back for the first two years (while I was J-1 status)?

Thank you in advance.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

May 3, 2008, 11:17 AM
    Your J1 visa is for Professor, Teacher, Research, Student?
    When did you enter the U.S. on J1 visa? Did you have any other visa before that?

The tax treaty with Thailand does not say any where that you have to pay back the taxes if your stay exceeds two years.

May 3, 2008, 12:45 PM
    Thank you MukatA

I am a researcher and I've been US since Oct, 06. I did not have any visa before that.

Some people said for J1 visa I can exempt tax only for 2 years. If I stay longer than that tax exemption is over and I need to pay back for the first two years.

I also found this page Alien Manual, Section D3, Tax Treaty Exemption
    In D3.2 **** Tax Treaty is lost retroactively if stay in country exceeds 2 year period.

Anyway I didn't find anywhere mention about tax treaty is lost retroactively in the tax treaties article as MukatA mentioned.

ARTICLE 23
    Teachers
    1. An individual who visits a Contracting State for a period not exceeding two years for the
    Purposes of teaching or engaging in research at a university, college or other recognized educational
    Institution in that State, and who was immediately before that visit a resident of the other Contracting
    State, shall be exempted from tax by the first-mentioned Contracting State on any remuneration for such
    Teaching or research for a period not exceeding two years from the date he first visits that State for such
    Purpose.
    2. This Article shall apply to income from research only if such research is undertaken by the
    Individual in the public interest and not primarily for the benefit of some other private person or persons.

I'm really confused. Could you please make me clear this point.

Thank you very much.
    Tax Expert

May 5, 2008, 10:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chutz
    Thank you MukatA

Anyway I didn't find anywhere mention about tax treaty is lost retroactively in the tax treaties article as MukatA mentioned.
    Did I say this?

May 5, 2008, 01:21 PM
    I thought that if they didn't mention about the retroactive loss of tax treaties means that it doesn't need to pay taxes back...

If I misunderstood, I'm sorry.
    Tax Expert

May 5, 2008, 05:55 PM
    On J1 you are exempt from FICA tax and federal income tax for 2-years from the date of arrival.
    Read Read Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Tax Treaties for Professors, Teachers and Researchers

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

L2 visa status change to student visa [ 5 Answers ]

HOw do I go about changing my daughters L2 visa to a student visa as she wants to start college in the fall, Her L2 visa expires in June 2009

Change of visa status [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible to change visit visa to a student visa after entering US

View more questions Search