Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cubalink Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2006, 09:55 AM
    Cracks In Walls
    I been noticing in my drywall long cracks can someone tell me what can that be.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2006, 11:19 AM
    Probably nothing to worry about; just settling that most homes will see sooner or later.

How old is the home?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2006, 01:08 PM
    Hi, Cubalink,
    Our home is around 35 yrs old. There are some cracks in the drywall, due to the house settling over the years.
    Biggest problem is getting paint to match when I patch them... I hate to repaint a whole room cause I couldn't find the paint color to match!
    cubalink Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2006, 01:19 PM
    My home was built in 1902. And I live northeast.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2006, 02:02 PM
    If your house was build in 1902, it didn't have drywall originally, but may have been remodeled. I have found the cracks often are where the drywall isn't solidly anchored to the studs especially in the corners. I have had better luck with the cracks staying patched if I add drywall screws along the crack before patching it.

You should take cracks seriously. How are your heating bills this winter? Drywall cracks are one more place for warm air to escape.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2006, 02:06 PM
    The cracks in a circa 1900 home can indicate a shifting foundation, or rotting or otherwise soft wood support members. May need to look under or inside the areas affected.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cracks in Asphalt [ 3 Answers ]

My driveway was asphalt paved about 15 years ago, and never resealed. It is now starting to crack in places, ant hills coming through, etc. Is it too late to use a sealer now, and do I need to call a company to come and put another layer on, or are there available products to seal old driveways...

Cracks in brick [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new homeowner and have a concern about some cracks I have seen in our bricks. We have a split foyer home so the top half of the house is siding and the bottom half is brick. I have noticed that several bricks have a small hairline crack down the middle. The crack is only in an individual...

Tearing down 2 walls [ 1 Answers ]

We are remodeling our kitchen and want to remove 2 walls to open it up. We have a truss roof and want to know if we can remove both walls. One wall is part of the wall that runs through the middle of the house between the kitchen and living room, there are support beams in basement under this...

Hairline Cracks in Fiberglass Tub Wall [ 2 Answers ]

My 25 year old 1 piece fiberglass tub shower unit has developed three 2 inch hairline cracks in the shower wall. It does not appear that water is seeping through the cracks. Is there a preferred sealant for ensuring that water does not sweep throgh these cracks? Thanks, Steve

Hot tub superficial cracks [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I recently bought a home with a hot tub. It seems to work OK, but someone has painted a whitish film onto about a third of the tub. We noticed that this section seems to have tiny superficial cracks in it. I'm guessing it was exposed to too much sunlight. The whitish stuff is...

View more questions Search