Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xnikkidx Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2006, 09:19 AM
    Identity Theft
    I have recently been working with PickWinnersOnline.org. I am very concerned because I have "won" the lottery and now they are asking for banking information to wire transfer the funds into my bank account. All the documentation which they have sent seems OK, however, identitly theft and scams are prevalent in these types of transactions.

I would like to be contacted via e-mail by an attorney so that I can go over these documents.

Thank You

Nicole
    :confused:
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 20, 2006, 09:22 AM
    Hello, this is a form of 419 scam, DON'T send any money or contact information.

Did you enter this lottery that you are supposed to of won, have you ever head of it?

Thought not.
    Be safe and NEVER reply to unsolicited e-mail especially ones that mention anything about winning money.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2006, 09:27 AM
    Hi,
    I would like to greatly Second the answer before mine.
    Do Not give out your personal info to anything like this.
    Many emails circulate as Spam, with subject lines of You Have Won!
    Others come in the form of "Need Your Information".
    If you have concern that you might have won a substantial amount of money, if you in the first place did in fact play this game, I would contact your own lawyer, face-to-face, to check it out for you. He/she can verify it, or not, through legal contact information. Best of luck. Chances are though, it's a scam.

Feb 20, 2006, 09:39 AM
    Thanks Curlyben. I knew it was too good to be true. I did reply and had been working with these people for last week or so. Although I haven't given them anything like my SSN# or bank info, like a big dummy I gave them my mailing address and phone number, but that's it. Do you think I've already put myself at risk?

Feb 20, 2006, 09:40 AM
    Thanks to you too Fred, I'll get in touch with a lawyer. That's what I though I was doing when I registered for this site, whoops, hehe.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2006, 09:43 AM
    I don't think so since your address and phone number are so easy to acquire these days. These scams rarely involve someone displacing themselves, they prefer the easy mark of electronic theft. Tell then to send you the check and see what they say.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 20, 2006, 03:05 PM
    No they merely want your bank numbers to take all of your money out of the bank. Do be careful calling them, many numbers are worst than those 900 numbers if you end up dialing some south african nation.

If you really won anythiing, you give them your name and address and tey mail you a check, it works like that. IF you did not sign up in the ocntest you can't win.

I inherit about 3 times a day, get someone wating to donate about to a day and a few other fruads every every day.

Lately I get the paypl , someone has been added to your account, I get at leave 3 or 4 of them every day.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Identity [ 1 Answers ]

How do you derive cos^2(x) plus sin^2(x)=1?

Help: a laywer placed a lien on us with a case of mistaken identity [ 12 Answers ]

Help. A lawyer placed a lien against us by mistake. He mistook my wife to be another person (identical name) who lost a judgment in California Superior court. The judgment's original + interest is in 6 figure numbers. I found out when I received a notice of renewal of judgment via mail. ...

Theft [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am being charged with theft under 5000, 5 counts, and possession, 5 counts. What do you think the consequences will be for this in Canada? I am an adult, and this is my first offence. Please help, I'd like to know more opinions! Thanks :(

View more questions Search