Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vmoser Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2008, 02:08 AM
    Mice nests in mower
    Every week when I go to my mower to mow the lawn, I have to take the cover off the top of the engine and remove a mouse nest. It use to be that I would have to do it at the start of the mowing season and that was it, but now I am having to do it every week. Now, the mice are now doing the same thing to my tiller engine. I keep my mower and tiller in a building but I live in the country. I have a cat also but the fat boy just isn't doing the job. Does anyone have a solution to this problem. I don't want to use poison because of pets.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 3, 2008, 02:34 AM
    Is your equipment stored in a building with dirt floors, concrete or something else? Seems to me that you need to get at the reason as to how that mice are able to get into the equipment.

Hopefully, others will also be along to offer their opinions and advice.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

May 3, 2008, 02:49 AM
    I'm not an expert but... do you have a dog? Mine has already got 2 mice killed. I live near an unused ground with overgrowing grass and weeds and mice sometimes get in my yard. My dog has perhaps wanted to play with them but killed them instead... who knows, it just goes mad at small animals that run past it and it simply chase them off.

May 3, 2008, 03:54 AM
    My building has a wooden floor, it is fairly easy for a mouse to get into the building out where I live. I don't really care that they get in but I don't understand how they are getting to the mower engine it's cover is very tight fitting or how to stop them. The mower and tiller I just bought last year. But they had done the same thing to my old mower but the cover to the new equipment is a pain in the butt to get off and on.

May 3, 2008, 03:58 AM
    I have two dogs and a cat, but they are too lazy or too spoiled to put any effort into catching anything. I tried leaving the door open and seeing if they would be intersted enough to sniff the mice out but all they want to do is play. They are more like children than animals. They are all a joy but totally useless.
    Uber Member

May 6, 2008, 04:12 AM
    Lol. Have you tried mouse traps, you know, those made of wood and metal. You can use a special type of glue that I have seen in some supermarkets, in a tin can. All you have to do then is to spread this glue on a wooden board, put some food (pieces of fruit would do) and put it in a place you think the mouse often go. Wait some time, perhaps a whole night and you'll perhaps be able to catch some. Repeat after removing the trapped mouse. If you can't find such glue, then you'll have to find another solution, sorry.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2008, 05:07 AM
    If you have electric in the building you could always try those pest zappers, that emit a high pitched sound. I have heard from some that it works. I believe I have seen battery operated ones.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 6, 2008, 09:33 AM
    The old fashioned mouse traps should do the job if properly baited and placed near the engines.

May 10, 2008, 05:32 AM
    I was hoping that I would not have to set traps but there is no other way. I mowed yesterday and had to clean the mower out before I could get started, so today the traps go out. Thanks to all that tried to help
    Uber Member

May 17, 2008, 02:19 AM
    Sorry for not having able to help you much =(.
    XxRoosterXx Posts: 44, Reputation: 9

May 17, 2008, 08:06 AM
    I have used some mouse poison in the past. Works like a charm. I use these little bricks of poison that they eat and go away. Just set them around your equipment and you will be rid of the little pests in no time.
    themouseman Posts: 42, Reputation: 2

Jun 1, 2008, 10:16 PM
    Have a pest control service person come out and install some lockable covered bait stations containing a product called quintox. This rodenticide uses cholecalciferol a form of vitamin d to intoxicate mice quickly and effectually.

Your pets will not be intoxicated if they consume a terminal mouse.

Mouse traps are great for catching young mice but adults tend not to go near them. Also if you are going to use them their effectivness drops very quickly after the first 24 hours as the mice not killed learn to avoid them.

Baitstations protect the bait and prevent primary poisioning by children.
    Patriarch Posts: 75, Reputation: 4

Sep 22, 2008, 01:59 AM
    Try, if possible, hanging your lawn mower off the floor, like many retail stores do. Though you should endeavor to keep the mice out of the house in the first place.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dogs and mice! [ 3 Answers ]

Just curious... if a dog that has had is rabies shots were to get bit by a mouse.. say who has rabies.. will the dog get rabies??

Mice! [ 26 Answers ]

Okay folks, I know someone has an answer to this. I am having a problem with mice. They scare the bejezuz out of me. I can handle most anything, but they are fast and they have tails!! :eek: I have a two story house on a slab, all my food is in storage containers, house is always clean. I have...

Getting rid of mice [ 3 Answers ]

We have a seasonal cottage in the northern ontario. We've had no problem with mice until the next door neighbor tore down his older camp. Since then we've had mice every winter. Mice droppings in all the drawers. I've been told either moth balls or peppermint make-up pads will keep them away....

Mice [ 6 Answers ]

What is the best method of getting rid of house mice apart from killing them?

Mice [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best method of getting rid of house mice apart from killing them?

View more questions Search