Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    minnick4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2008, 02:52 PM
    Depreciation on Equipment
    If I bought equipment for $5000 and sold it for $3500 and accumlated depreciation was $1800 and depreciation was $450 prior to the sale is this the right transaction

Depreciation Expense 450
    Accumulated Depreciation Equipment 450

Cash 3500
    Accumulated Depreciation Equipment 3500
    Equipment 5000
    Gain on Disposal 750
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

May 5, 2008, 02:12 AM
    You need to make sure you put Dr & Cr on your entries. For your first entry, it's correct if I assume you've correctly listed the debit first. (And it's not good to assume things like that.) In your second entry, since there are 4 accounts, I have no idea what you meant to dr & cr.

But... either way that second entry wouldn't balance. It doesn't, does it? The gain is correct, but you couldn't have gotten that gain with accumulated depreciation of 3500. Meaning you figured out the numbers correctly, but then did the wrong thing in the entry. If there was already 1800 depreciated and you added 450 more, how much do you now have in the accumulated account? Not 3500.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adjusting entry for depreciation on equipment [ 3 Answers ]

What account should entry for depreciation on equipment? Thanks,

DJ Equipment? [ 1 Answers ]

If anyone could send me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. What I'm looking for is some inexpensive DJ equipment. Primarily an AMP. It's a hobby I do for friends at party's, not looking for High end stuff, just something I can hook my Laptop to as well as a ION DJ Station and a...

Pool Equipment [ 1 Answers ]

I'm making an "as-is" offer on a house with a 25x30' in ground pool with an 8x13 spa at one end of it. It is not filled. I can't see any cracks but the tile around the edge is gone in a few places by the edge of the spa where it meets the pool. The equipment is sitting out in the open (heater,...

Equipment ground [ 7 Answers ]

I am wiring a garage from my panel in my home. It is 235 ft from the house. I am wondering If I need an equipment ground and just what the heck is it and how to hook it up and use it? I have a 100 amp load subpanel.

Home Hi-fi equipment [ 1 Answers ]

" Hi : I am trying to get my home audio system into the high end and have purchased a NAD 752 receiver and PSB 4T speakers for starters.(This combination sounds very good).Is it necessary for me to get high end audio interconect cables and high end speaker wire? Secondly I am currently using a...

View more questions Search