Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tammyp Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2006, 12:42 AM
    6week Puppy not eating - result
    Thank you to everyone that replyed to my question. I have been to the vet again on friday only to find my boy was bitten by a tick & medication was administered immediately for the tick bite & an antibiotic as well as a capusule to give to him(1/2 twice a dya). He was so well after that - playing & eating . On sunday he had vomited which i assumed was cos he ate too much. Later a friend came by & picked him up & noticed his body was stiff & he couldn't move one the one side. I had called my vet who wasn't able to see cos she was out of town but suggested stopping the capsule. My baby boy cried in agony & kept getting stiff & vomitting trying to roll over cos he couldn't stand. On taking him to another vet he said one of 2 things had happened, the tick bite had reached his brain or than was an overdose of the tick medication. My little boy had to be put down yesterday which tore my heart apart. My little girl seems to be okay but i just have to wait it out.i am concerned about her stools not being very firm & is quite mashy .thank you again for your advice.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2006, 04:56 AM
    I am very sad to hear that. Tick bites usually don't lead to death. Anything can happen I guess. It is not the tick bite that is the problem, it is infections and parasites they carry. Who know what he may have caught.

As I said last night get her on a standard dry kibble. Give her a few days and see if the stool firms up. I have had 14 young puppies since 1991, and many of them had soft stools at first. There is a number of things that can cause it, but if the vet checked her, he should have found some of them and given you medicine for them. Keep an eye on her, and if her stools don't firm up, get back with the vet before the weekend.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

6wks puppy not eating [ 3 Answers ]

I have purchased 2 labXgerman sheperd puppies 3 days ago fron a pet store. A little girl & a boy. The male is very tiny but he was playful. I had bought puppy chunks which both refuse to eat. Then I tried a wet puppy food which they ate twice & won't touch. The litlle male is much smaller than the...

Puppy eating his own poop [ 21 Answers ]

I have an 8 month old black lab who eats his own poop and I cannot figure out why. Does anyone know why puppies do this? I try to keep him away from it but he is so quick sometimes! Is there something he is lacking in his diet? Thanks for the help.

8 week lab puppy not eating [ 2 Answers ]

I got a 5 week old lab puppy which became familiar in 2-3 days. He is now 8 weeks and got his first vaccination 2 week back. He has also got the de-worming. Now he has stopped eating. He just has few (very few) water or milk and became weak. Also he is not as playful as he used to be. We tried...

8 week old puppy not eating but drinking [ 1 Answers ]

I just brought home an 8 week old Scottish Terrier puppy from a very loving breeder. I'm not sure if he's just too young or what's going on. He ate the first night I brought him home and now he hasn't eaten in the past two days. He drinks plenty of water and is piddling but short of force...

:( Dog/Puppy not eating [ 1 Answers ]

I received a dog/puppy from a person who wasn't taking very good care of here, She refuses to eat dry food, she will only eat fresh meat or canned meat chunks, I've been feeding her porkribs with her dry food, but it's not working so well. Do you know how I can get her to eat dry food?

View more questions Search