Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GothicRomance Posts: 54, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2008, 01:29 PM
    What could be new?
    I don't think necessity is the mother of invention - invention, in my opinion, arises directly from idleness, possibly also from laziness. To save oneself trouble.
    Agatha Christie, An Autobiography, 1977

While I find this quote obnoxious, it is also sort of true. Whether by necessity or for a desire for something to be easier or more convenient, "things" are invented.

I ask myself the question that people must have asked in the 50-60s before HDTV, iPods, and ultra-portable laptops. What else could possibly be invented? Where could we possibly go from here? Isn't everything that could be invented already invented? Isn't there nothing new under the sun?

All-in-one smart phones, microwave dinners and streaming movies instantly. Everything is getting faster and more convenient. How fast and convenient can it get? If everything were instantaneous would that be the end of invention? Are we waiting to make floating cars, implanted computers, holographic displays?

I am by NO MEANS knocking society or invention in anyway... I am genuinely trying to work this (probably naive) question out in my mind. A rather ridiculous question, because if it isn't invented then you don't know it COULD be invented I suppose. All the things you never knew you didn't know.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2008, 02:24 PM
    Invention is human. We looks for ways to make things better, we always have. Lately, it's been happening faster.

The problems I have with it is "technical." Fast and technical. The user manuals are in teensy print and frequently assume that the user is someone who has been sailing these electronic waters for years. Calling for tech. support means that you will probably speak to someone who talks 90 miles per hour, and is sullen and rude if you can't keep up.

One of my best friends is older and a "techie" working as a programmer. She can explain anything technical to me with great clarity. I asked her why she was so understandable. She laughed and told me that most people in her field are young men who have trouble being "bilingual," meaning, computer to English. They understand exactly what they're doing, but they aren't very good at translating.

Most of the newer inventions we have available today are indeed faster. Convenient? That might need to be studied. At the moment, I think we are moving forward faster (electronically) than politeness, tact, courtesy, patience and intelligence allows.

Why isn't there an affordable home dishwasher yet, that can wash and dry a whole load of dishes in less than 3 minutes? So what if it's noisy, it's quick. These are commonplace in restaurants. Why don't we have clothes washers that automatically dry, fold and iron?

Furniture, oh my. Examine the construction. Most of it is made to be simple and quick to put together. This design, the assembly only happens once or twice. The piece of furniture is a pain in the butt to keep clean and has a dust-ball storage area underneath it. You might clean it 100 times, but the designer did not consider the cleaning person. Men who design furniture are doing more and more household chores? Prove it!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search