Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    birdlover2 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2006, 10:56 PM
    Pc System Resources Is Almost Gone
    Help!! We Have A Ibm Notepad With Windows 98. It Says That Almost All The Resources Are Used Up. I Have Deleted All The Programs We Can. It Won't Scan The Disk For Errors And Took 2 Hours To Defragment And Did Not Increase The Space. I Need To Reload The Drivers For The Cdrom Because It Is Not Working But I Can't Get The Download To Work Because It Says C Drive Is Full. Any Ideas On How I Can Free Up Some Space---is It Possible---is There Any Way We Can Increase The Virtual Memory On A 98? Any Help Would Be Appreciated.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2006, 02:49 AM
    If it's telling you your C drive is full then it's nothing to dio with virtual memory. That's something else.

First thing I would try is Disk Cleanup. Here is a article on using it. That should hopefully free up enough space.

Alternatively, do you have a zip utility (e.g. WinZip, WinRar, 7Zip etc.) on your PC? If so you could try zipping up some of your documents, pictures etc. to free up some room (if there's enough room to create the zips that is).

How about putting things onto a floppy disk?

If all these fail, you're just going to have to bite the bullet and start deleting things you want but could do without - e.g. MP3s, old documents etc.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2006, 07:24 AM
    Hi,
    I also use Win98SE; with a hard drive that is only about 1/2 full at present time. I bought a new hard drive, to have more space.
    As mentioned in previous answer, if your hard drive is full, there is absolutely nothing you can do, except burn (copy) some of you're my Documents, My Music, etc, just as an example of files, to a CD-R, Then delete those files from the hard drive.
    Harddrives aren't very expensive, and you might consider getting a new, larger one.
    I do wish you the very best. and good luck.
    Also, again, Virtual Memory won't help with a full hard drive, and doing a Degrag won't either. All that does is put the files back together, in one piece, instead of having them scattered all over the hard drive. It won't free up space.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Resources for children with disabilities [ 2 Answers ]

Need to have contact information of agencies in the community that provide resources for children with disabilities.

About sharing processor resources in LAN [ 1 Answers ]

Heloo I have 2 Desktop PC connected to each other by lan and MS networking. Can any body help : How I can share the processor resources so that when I am using one PC, Other PC's processor resource being utilised. Is it possible Thanks Dr. Rao

Human Resources questions [ 1 Answers ]

1. What is the Career Scope for the person working in HR. 2. What is the basic concept of Team Buildind? How it can be useful for the Development of the company? 3. If a person who is physically Disable and is working in HR Wants to go to abroad like UK,USA. Is he capable of doing so?

Resources to file a quadro [ 1 Answers ]

Hello,I need to find resources to file a quadro,I have a model related to the type of retirement but I need the blank forms,this applies within the state of California,otherwise a reference about who can do it for me at a reasonable fee.Thanks .

View more questions Search