Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    keljo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2006, 07:27 PM
    Washing machine clog?
    I read another post here about a clog in the washing machine hoses. It makes sense and I understand about having to snake the line. However I have another question. We only have the overflow from the hose in the winter months. I first noticed the leak late last winter. In the spring it went away and over the summer I forgot about it. Then this winter it started again. Does it make sense that a clog only appears in the winter? Also, after looking at the hoses, it seems that all I have is a hose hooked up to the outside drain. I'm not sure what the difference is with a standpipe. From what I'm reading its PVC piping. Is this hard to install?

Lol.. I think that's all the questions I have for now :)

letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2006, 10:22 PM
    If your drain is just connected to a drain does that then drain to the outside of the house or does it go to a sewer. If it goes outside then the cold weather could be affecting the drain because of an ice buildup.

Send me more information
    keljo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2006, 09:34 AM
    We are on a sewer system. I looked behind the washing machine last night and did see what I think is the standpipe. I forgot to measure the height though. Another interesting thing which I'm sure someone can explain.. is that outside the house there is a pvc pipe which I assume is for a vent of some type. When the washer drains I hear it in the pipe. Sorry to sound so vague about that wonderful description. I don't know how to better explain it, lol.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 20, 2006, 12:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by keljo
    we are on a sewer system. I looked behind the washing machine last night and did see what I think is the standpipe. I forgot to measure the height though. Another interesting thing which i'm sure someone can explain.. is that outside the house there is a pvc pipe which i assume is for a vent of some type. When the washer drains I hear it in the pipe. Sorry to sound so vague about that wonderful description. I don't know how to better explain it, lol.
    Letmetellu might just be on to something about the ice buildup. Your washer set up soumds like a add on. The pipe outside you mentioned is the vent for it. If the washer drainline extends through the freeze line on its way to the sewer this would explain your cold weather problems. This question should have been posted on the plumbing page. It sounds more like a drainage problem then a appliance one. Regards, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing Machine Box [ 10 Answers ]

Greetings. My basement has an overhead Sewer pipe going out to the front. Therefore, if I want a washing machine in the Basement, I have to pump the discharge up and out in some way. Right now, the discharge goes to the sump pump hole and then is pupmed out. I want to install a washing...

Washing machine line [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We want to run a new washing machine drain line. We're considering running a new line tying into the main. For ease, was going to run in a trench line outside the house and tie in outside, rather than Going through the slab. Is this acceptable? Our old drain line has a hole in it, did...

No hot water in the washing machine [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: The hot and cold lines leading into the washer are OK, but for some reason the washer only runs cold. Not warm or hot? What could be the problem?

Relocate washing machine [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I would like to relocate my washing machine from an interior room with a washer hookup to a large bedroom closet. The new washer site would be against a wall with bath/shower plumbing. I have no understanding of how plumbing works... before I mention anything to the husband, is it possible to...

No water from washing machine tap [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, Need some help. Ive just bought a washing machine. As the man was about to the connect the hose to tap/faucet, no water comes out. However the rest of the house, the water flows fine from the taps. What could the problem be.. . Thanks in advance

View more questions Search