Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    31pumpkin Posts: 379, Reputation: 50
    -

Feb 19, 2006, 06:57 PM
    Almost the same beliefs
    Ive been reading the conversation Orange was having (sorry,Iforgot with who) I'm really enlightened to find out that Jews believe in an afterlife; this shaol u speak of where they wait for a messiah when they die. The Jews I've known pretty closely always gave the impression that they were "really" living for this life only.
    Anyway, Christians & Jews seem even more alike, if that being so. We certainly believe in the same God. The main difference being that I as a Christian, believe in the new testament also, that the messiah already came.
    The story about the afterlife being like a utopia... that's the same too.
    But I can't help but feel sorry for the Rabbi when he dies & the messiah comes& it's Jesus & then Jesus says "i didn't know you, you denied" me.
    Well, according to the Rabbi, the worst that could happen is he'll have nothingness, right?
    Hey, it could always be worse though. One could believe in allah, not the same god we believe in.
    Christians adhere to the 1st & 2nd commandments. Idolatry is a sin . Probably the 3rd is an old testament thing though, about not working on the sabbath.
    O.K.. . have a blessed time.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2006, 07:21 PM
    Perhaps you were talking to non-religious Jews.

I myself am Jewish, and I too live for “this life”. I'm not a huge believer in the afterlife. If it's there, then so be it, I will see it when I die.

But I don't think about it.
    31pumpkin Posts: 379, Reputation: 50
    -

Feb 19, 2006, 08:26 PM
    Well, for me heaven is very important. I can say "so be it' to the fact of dying & leaving this life. But there are many people I want to see again. Love will do that. I want to know why too. I guess one has to have some strong reasons to believe.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2006, 09:25 PM
    Most Jews, even if they are religious ones, actually don't think much about the afterlife. That doesn't mean we don't believe in it, it's just not our focus. It's my understanding that Jews focus on this world because they hold life sacred, for themselves and others, and feel it is their duty to make this world a better place, rather than thinking about some reward we might get after we die. Personally I don't think about the afterlife at all (other than maybe for curiosity's sake, sometimes). I think about what I can do in the here and now, to make my corner of the world a little more habitable for everyone who crosses my path.
    RUBLUE Posts: 60, Reputation: 7

Feb 20, 2006, 12:03 AM
    I believe there is only one living God of the living universe no matter what he is called. I strongly believe what you do with your life on earth, will have a PROFOUND effect on the next realm that I call Heaven or Hell. Our life on earth is not even a nanasecond compaired to eternity. And if I was to base my life on the old testament only. I to would not dwell on a after life either. Because we all fall short, and in so, all will go to Hell.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2006, 07:46 AM
    Hi, Pumpkin,
    I am a Christian, believe in God, Jesus Christ, and try following the teachings of the New Testament of the Bible. I have been Babtized into Jesus Christ.
    There are many faiths, many religions, many beliefs.
    Others do not believe as I do, in many cases, but that is their privilege. Belief in God is different for different people. Personally, I "don't feel sorry" for anyone who believes in God, because they are trying to live their lives, based on their own teachings, following their own beliefs. Others don't believe in anything; and that, too, is their choice.
    I do wish you the best.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How would finding intelligent Life on other planets effect Religious beliefs? [ 62 Answers ]

This has been touched on in a few threads from time to time. I am interested to hear some different point of views on this. If we were to discover intelligent Life on another planet, how would that effect religious beliefs? Does it help to prove or disprove certain religions?

President beliefs [ 1 Answers ]

Hey guys, so I can't really find anything on what these presidents believed in politicaly, so yeah could u help me out? Name- Political Beliefs- George Washington- _____________ John Adams- _____________ Thomas Jefferson- _____________ James Madison- _____________ James Monroe- _____________...

Changing beliefs [ 26 Answers ]

I am 26 and Jewish. I was raised partially by my family but mostly in several foster homes, with each one being of a different religious persuasion. First I was in a home where I went to a Chabad school (orthodox jews). In this home, we prayed and studied the torah every day, kept glatt kosher, I...

View more questions Search