Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    notsohandygirl Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2006, 06:29 PM
    Bathtub drains slow or not at all
    My bathtub has been slow, very slow, on and off for years. Sometimes drain cleaner helps but most times it doesn't. We actually keep a plunger in the bathroom and my daughter now showers on a step stool! After furiously plunging for hours today I finally searched for the source. I found a drum trap which I was able to open with a hammer and screwdriver. I snaked the pipe as far as I could and found nothing noticeable. However, the drain was almost stopped but when I opened the drum it flowed down. If it's a vent problem then why is it only sometimes? I don't know what to do. It's beyond slow now.
    meangene59 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2006, 07:37 PM
    You may want to check the faceplate(stopper) it may be worn out aloowing the bucket to fall a little sometimes and slow the drain down take the face plate off and see if it drains faster if so replace the faceplate and adjust bucket

Feb 19, 2006, 08:17 PM
    Thanks. However, I did that also today. It didn't make a difference except for splashing me with my furious plunging.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2006, 10:04 PM
    You say that you are not so handy, but it sounds like you have at least done one thing and that is to get the top off the drum trap which is sometimes imposible to do, so I have a sugestion. Inside there are two pipes openings, one is the inlet from the tub and the other is the outlet from the drum trap to the sewer line. You can buy a small drain cleaner drum and cable at most hardware stores, a fifteen foot might be enough for you. Locate which one of the pips is the one that connects to the sewer. This should be the one that is highest in the drum trap. With the top off the drum trap run a very small amount of water into the tub, maybe a pint, and watch the trap if the water level in the trap rises and does not go back down start the little cable into the pipe leading away from the trap continue inserting and turning the cable till the water level goes down, never will all water go out of the trap because of the way it is built. If the water goes away then repeat with the small amount of water in the tub. If the water rises but then goes away quickly you have made progress. So I would insert and turn more cable and then you might turn on the water in the tub, maybe a stream the size of a pencil, if the trap does not run over continue to turn the cable to wash out anything that might be in the pipe. Then pull the cable out, replace the top on the trap and pray. If the tub still does not drain fast enough repeat the process. If you have no luck then I am at a loss without more information.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 20, 2006, 08:19 AM
    Letmetellu just gave one of the best snaking instructions that I've ever seen.
    Since most tub,shower and lavatory clogs consist of rotting hair matted with grease from the soap expect a mess on the end of the auger tip when you pull it out. Good luck, tom

Feb 20, 2006, 03:01 PM
    THANK YOU!! I did it!! I snaked it & found out that it was blocked almost as far as the septic pipe which in this case was only about 6 feet away. That nasty glob of hair was the most wonderful sight!! And then the beautiful fast flow of water!! I think I want to be a plumber... well I won't go that far but I do think that this is my new favorite tool. I won't let my husband lose this one. I did all the work and he thinks he's the hero because he bought the snake. Go figure. Thanks again.. I should have come here a long time ago.
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 20, 2006, 04:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by notsohandygirl
    THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did it!!!!!!!!!!!!! I snaked it & found out that it was blocked almost as far as the septic pipe which in this case was only about 6 feet away. That nasty glob of hair was the most wonderful sight!!!! And then the beautiful fast flow of water!!!! I think I want to be a plumber.... well I won't go that far but I do think that this is my new favorite tool. I won't let my husband lose this one. I did all the work and he thinks he's the hero because he bought the snake. Go figure. Thanks again..I should have come here a long time ago.

So the "notso handygirl" turned out to be pretty handy after all. Kudos, congratulations and all that good stuff. One question? Why didn't hubby take over this nasty job? Cheers, tom
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2006, 06:55 PM
    I am glad that it worked for you, sometimes if doesn't. I could give you one more little piece of advise. I would suggest that you put some lubracant on the threads on the cap that you took off the drum trap before you screw it back into place, these things have a tendency to get stuck and if you happened to ruin the drum trap that is a serious problem.

Feb 21, 2006, 05:50 AM
    Thanks again so much. It was quite rewarding actually. As for hubby, well I guess I haven't trained him well at all. Maybe I could find another help site for that! :) I already planned on lubricating that drum top. What's the best thing to use? I was going to put petroleum jelly. Is that okay?
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 21, 2006, 06:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by notsohandygirl
    Thanks again so much. It was quite rewarding actually. As for hubby, well I guess I haven't trained him well at all. Maybe I could find another help site for that! :) I already planned on lubricating that drum top. What's the best thing to use? I was going to put petroleum jelly. Is that okay?
    Petroleum Jell is OK, so is a few wraps of teflon tape. Good luck in training hubby. Some of us are kind of hard to house break. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Drains slow [ 24 Answers ]

A few days ago my toilet started draining slow. When I flush, the toilet fills up, and then slowly drains. To get solid matter to go down I have to flush 3-5 times. I first tried a plunger, which did not work. I then tried a closet auger, which did not work. So, I disconnected the toilet and...

Toilet drains slow due to cleanout? [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I have got an issue with a toilet that is draining slow. It seems to have started after I capped a cleanout access upline to the toilet. Is this possilbe? I haven't tried to uncap the access, but there is a vent between the cap and the toilet drain. It is a new toilet, and before I...

New Bathroom, But Tub Drains Slow [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, all. Glad to have found this place as I sure need some answers and help! My wife and I decided the old bathroom needed to be renovated. It was about 20 years old and showed it. The old bathroom was a 3/4 unit, with a toilet and shower stall only, no bathtub. We opted to have the it...

Bathtub drains: water comes up in shower [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, We are renovating our upstairs bathroom. Originally it had just a whirlpool tub, and now it has the same tub plus a separate shower beside it. We're testing the plumbing to make sure everything works before closing up the walls (& the ceiling below). The bathtub and shower connect to...

Shower Drains Slow/bad smell [ 1 Answers ]

I just remodeled my bathroom. I removed the tub/shower and installed a new shower stall only. The new plumbing is built like this: I removed the tub drain and over-flow pipe just above the p-trap and attached a new 24 inch, 2 inch diameter ABS pipe just above the old p-trap, using an elbow. This...

View more questions Search