Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nanea1975 Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

May 1, 2008, 02:19 PM
    Best vocal tone
    I'm trying to figure out the best way to improve the tone and dynamics of my singing voice. I'm a guitar player and have been singing for a while, but I've only begun to approach my voice in the same systematic manner as I do guitar the last couple of years.

I got the Singing Success CD system and am very happy with it.

But I have a problem with my tone being to 'chesty.' I'd say I'm a relatively low, and somewhat monotone speaker. So when I sing, the tone that sounds best to me (while singing) is chesty. But when I hear recordings of me I realize that the head sound comes out sounding better. Problem is that I have a difficulty recognizing the proper tone WHILE singing. I have an absolute range of about 4 octaves, but can't quite get a good tone singing high.

Another problem is that, because I talk low and somewhat monotone, my singing comes across as monotone also... that is, it sounds dynamic (relative to my speaking) as I'm singing, but not at playback. When I try to add a little "spice" to my singing, again it sounds good while singing, but not at playback (sounds like I'm overdoing what should be subtle variations).

Additional info on me, I'm a male, 32 y/o, if that helps in answering my question... I don't mind putting in the work, but am looking for some direction.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help (discriptive advice would be nice).
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 5, 2008, 03:02 AM
    I do apologize that no one has been along to respond to your question! I just noticed it now.

One of the things that I do for a living is that I am a voice teacher and leader of singing groups.

If you do know the difference between chest voice and head voice, you are to be commended! If you think that upon hearing yourself after being recorded that you sound better in head tones or higher voice, then chances are that you should be singing higher. Songs can be pitched higher in order to accommodate your optimum voice range. There really is no limit to how high we can sing (I mean, within reason on that!). But, it's really best to not be stretching things too low, because there is a limit there. You can actually do some temporary if not permanent damage to your voice by singing too low.

Using "chest" voice might sound or feel the best to you, but it most likely is not the type of singing that is utilizing your vocal instrument to its fullest potential.

Without hearing you personally, of course it is hard to make an evaluation. Have you ever been evaluated by someone who knows singing voices?

Also, since you mention playing the guitar, it would help to know what kind of music it is that you are trying to or wanting to sing, please?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing hair color from red tone to ash tone [ 1 Answers ]

I used Feria Hair color Crushed Garnet to color my hair over the winter. It was a really nice shade, had lots of compliments. I want to change for the summer to Natural Hair Colour 51/2C ash brown. Will the red pigment cause any problems changing to an ash tone? My natural hair color is...

Vocal cord [ 1 Answers ]

My 11 day old grandson has a parlyzed vocal cord has been on C-pak We are at University of Mississippi Medical Center and would like to know if another Hospital of University would be better for him?

Dog with no vocal chords [ 3 Answers ]

Question if I live in an apt and I wanta dog are there quieter breeds? Also I could train the dog but I want to consider other possibilites. Also if I resqued a dog with no vocal chords what kind of health problems would I expect?

Vocal (singing) lessons and parents. [ 7 Answers ]

I live in Greece and I'm 13 years old.I really want to take vocal (singing) lessons but my parents do not allow me to.They say that music in Greece doesn't have a future.Plus,they say they don't have enough money to "throw away",as I will never be able to get a singing career.I will not leave...

Vocal cat in heat [ 1 Answers ]

My cat is in heat and is meowing(roaring) all through the night. Also she goes into heat cycles very irregularly. She will have a 7 day cycle of heat then be clear for a few days and then start up again. After this cycle is done then she is good for a few weeks then she goes again. Is this normal...

View more questions Search