Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    simonek Posts: 45, Reputation: 2

May 1, 2008, 01:03 PM
    Custody of my 15 year old sister
    Hi I'd like to get custody of my sister who is 15 years old my mother died Thanksgiving of 2007 and I just assumed that since I was next of kin I didn't have to get custody/guardianship of her but he guidance counselor asked if I had guardianship of her since my mom is deceased and I said yes so she asked if she could see them of course there is nothing to see because I honestly didn't think it was needed will they put her in foster care or will I have no problem getting guardianship of her Im over 25 no criminal record so I don't see why not anyone have any advice?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 1, 2008, 02:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by simonek
    Hi I'd like to get custody of my sister who is 15 years old my mother died Thanksgiving of 2007 and i just assumed that since i was next of kin i didnt have to get custody/guardianship of her but he guidance counselor asked if i had guardianship of her since my mom is deceased and i said yes so she asked if she could see them of course there is nothing to see because i honestly didnt think it was needed will they put her in foster care or will i have no problem getting guardianship of her Im over 25 no criminal record so i dont see why not anyone have any advice?

Where is your sister now? Her father would be the next of kin, not you, but you can apply for guardianship. It's a Court proceeding. No one can ever predict what the Court will decide but based on what is best for her, your ability to support her financially and emotionally, you probably have a good chance - if her father doesn't have a problem with it.
    simonek Posts: 45, Reputation: 2

May 1, 2008, 02:32 PM
    My dad is deceased also, she is living with me.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 1, 2008, 02:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by simonek
    My dad is deceased also, she is living with me.

Then I don't see a problem. I'm surprised the guidance counsellor is asking about legal custody but it's not a bizarre question. File a Petition for guardianship - sounds like you're the guardian in every way, just not on paper.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting Custody of my live-in 16 year old Sister [ 2 Answers ]

Hello! I am 24 years old, and I am the "de facto custodian" of my 15 (almost 16) year old sister. She has been living with me in my apartment since October 2006. I provide her shelter, transportation, food, clothing, everything. I receive $25/mo from our mother to go towards a gym...

Custody of my 11 year old sister [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. My name is Jennifer. I am 24 years old. I have been married for 5 years and have two sons. I am a full-time student majoring is Accounting and my husband and I own our own business. My mom passed away 6 years ago, when my little sister was 6 years old. Since my mom passed away, I have...

Getting custody of my 13 sister [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know what do I need to do to try and get custody of my 13yr old sister which her father came in got her by law they say.Him and my mom was not together any more.he drinks too much he can't keep a job and he is not stable.the hold time he had a chance to do for my sister he didn't do.he...

I want custody of my little sister [ 4 Answers ]

I'm 30 years old and have a 13 year old sister who I want to take care of. Our mom is very ill and financially not able to take care of her. There are also other issues in their home that I want my sister to be away from. She doesn't get along with our stepdad and stepsisters since they've moved in...

Custody of my sister! [ 2 Answers ]

I am 18 years old and my sister is 13 years old. We were adopted by our cousins in 2000 and now I am moved out and I have my own apartment. I am engaged and we would like to get custody of my sister. She is being hit with a cutting boared for no reason. She is being emotionally abused and I was...

View more questions Search