Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    XxRoosterXx Posts: 44, Reputation: 9

May 1, 2008, 11:59 AM
    20amp fuse blowing on Husqvarna
    I have a Husqvarna mower and am having an issue with the 20amp fuse blowing. I noticed that it's only after I turn the pto on. Originally I thought it was the electric clutch. So I disconnected it, turned the key on without starting it and turned the pto on. It worked. I inspected the wiring and didn't see any insulation rubbed off anywhere. I reconnected it put some new blades on and tried it and it worked great. But then it happened again. I know it's possible that it's still shorted somewhere, possibly past the plug for the clutch. But is it still possible that the clutch is going bad? Do they just stop usually or do they slowly burn out? How do I troubleshoot the clutch to eliminate that possibility? I also looked at the pins in both sides of the plug and they looked fine. :confused:
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 1, 2008, 12:15 PM
    You could put a continuity tester, light, buzzer or meter on the fuse holder(Not the hot side/the load side), the other to ground. Unplug PTO, and all other loads until it reads 0pen.
    They do make DC Amprobes that will tell the amount of current drawn on a wire without disconnecting anything. You have to clamp around wire and it will tell which way current is flowing(charging or drawing).
    Would be handy to do resistance on your clutch and replacement clutch to give an indication of shorted windings.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2008, 03:59 AM
    Start is correct, keep tracing wires, and you are going to probably find a bare spot in the wire that makes ENough contact while the engine is running and everything is vibrating around and that is when it is making contact.
    Electrical problems can be like needles in haystacks, you know it is there, you just have to keep looking until you either sit on it, or find it somehow else.
    XxRoosterXx Posts: 44, Reputation: 9

May 17, 2008, 07:52 AM
    Just an update on the trouble for anyone that is interested. I removed the clutch and was at the point where I was just going to replace it since I had looked at all the wiring I could see and had found nothing. I had already replaced the pto switch on the advice from a local repairman and still was blowing the fuse. Once I removed the clutch I seen that one of the wires was routed incorrectly and was rubbing on the spring. Very very small. Almost missed it. So Mowerman you called it on the bare wire. :cool: Thank you to you and Stratmando for the advice. I can finally mow my hay field now. LOL
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2008, 07:28 PM
    You could have a bare spot on the wires going to the electric clutch causing the short.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fuse keep blowing [ 1 Answers ]

I am not sure what is happening, We have two units the upstairs is running just fine. Now the downstairs keep blowing the fuse in the furnace. What it does is that it will let the fan run but when I reduce the temp. so the a/c will come on it blow the fuse. Thanks, George

24V fuse keeps blowing [ 1 Answers ]

HI all, I have a problem with my AC it keep blowing the 3amp fuse I have replaced it but after a min or 2 it blows again I have measured the transformer Volt. To be at 27.8V I know it's a 24V tramsformer now could this be why its blowing the fuse or it doesn't really matter that its 3V over... ...

A/C keeps blowing fuse [ 11 Answers ]

I had an earlier post about neither the furnace or a/c working... well the problem was a blown fuse, and I have no idea why I didn't find it earlier. Anyway, I replaced the fuse and the furnace heat now works, but when I go to the a/c, the fuse blows every time. My furnace takes a little 5 amp buss...

Keep blowing fuse [ 1 Answers ]

1998 Dodge Ram, been sitting for about a week, went to turn on windshield wipers and they didn't work. Check the fuse and it was blown. Changed fuse and as soon as I put it in the fuse blows. Did this several times and no luck. ANY IDEAS! THANKS,

Fuse in furnace blowing [ 4 Answers ]

My buddy has a payne heat pump system with a payne air handler and every time the heat is turned on at the termostat the fuse blows in the air handler cabinet. The fuse will not blow if emergency heat is turned on or the a/c what is the problem here? I have been working in hvac for six years but...

View more questions Search