Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rajasperson Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2008, 10:03 AM
    IE Error Message
    I keep getting this error message randomly: "Stop running this script? A script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly. If it continues to run, your computer may become unresponsive." I scanned different help websites. I have downloaded Firefox and have been using that for the past couple of days but I am still getting this error message. I don't know why since I am not even using Internet Explorer anymore. Firefox is set as my default browser. Any suggestions on how to get this message to stop popping up?
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

May 1, 2008, 11:35 AM
    First, boot into safemode with networking via F8 at startup and do an adware and virus scan and verify your machine is clean.

Then, the error may be unrelated to actual web browsing with IE. Many applications use IE components to render HTML content, and it might be caused by these and not IE proper. Does the appearance of the issue coincide with installation or removal of any software?
    rajasperson Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2008, 11:49 AM
    I have "Windows Live OneCare" and it doesn't appear to allow me to run a scan in SafeMode. I did run a full scan yesterday and everything appeared clean. Do you recommend getting an additional Adware program? OneCare claims to address these issues but maybe they don't. I don't think the problem coincides with the installation or removal of software. I have not removed any software recently and I do not believe I (knowingly) added any.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

May 1, 2008, 03:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rajasperson
    Do you recommend getting an additional Adware program?
    Never hurts, not everyone detects everything. Ad-Aware or Spybot-S&D are free.

See How to troubleshoot script errors... and try updating Java. You can use Process Explorer to attempt to determine what process is running a script or disable scripting entirely on IE's Tools > Options > Security Tab for all the zones and see what breaks.

Quasi-workaround: How to set time-out period for script

If none of the above has any affect, you can always call Microsoft Product Support and pay for an incident.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Error message [ 4 Answers ]

Now I'm getting Syntax error on Outlook:today

Error message [ 2 Answers ]

I'm getting the following error message when trying to print. Res://ieframe.dll/preview.dlg Do you know how to fix this? Sigmundo62

Error message [ 1 Answers ]

Error message when trying to save a web page. Please help me Marthie

Error message [ 6 Answers ]

I am trying to fix my computer. At shut down, I keep getting a drwts.32 error and a dwwin.exe. Error. Any idea what it is and how to fix it?

Error message [ 8 Answers ]

After a recent about with a virus my computer gives me the error message Explorer.exe- Application Error The application failed to initialize properly (0xc00000005). Click OK to terminate the application. Any hints on how to fix this. I still have access to explorer in safe mode but that's...

View more questions Search