Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DAVE231 Posts: 91, Reputation: 9

Feb 19, 2006, 01:39 PM
    Square Footage measurement.
    Can someone tell me how to get the correct square footage of living space for a home? What measurements should I take to compile this number? And what areas do not come into consideration? Thanks. Dave.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2006, 01:49 PM
    Square foot is measured by multiplying the length by the width of a room, a building, the yard, etc. any flat space.

If say a rectangle single family home, one story, with a basement, attached garage, and one small finished room, say a den, in the basement. The livable areas are the first floor and the den in the basement.

Measure the den inside from wall to wall, 20 ft length and the width, 15 ft.
    A=LW
    A=20 x 15
    A=300 sq ft.

For the firsrt floor, just measure the outside, side to side 60 ft and front to back, 25 ft.

A=LW
    A=60 x 25
    A=1500 sq ft.

Total sq ft of living space is 1500 + 300 = 1800 sq ft.

If the building is odd shaped, break it down into small rectangles, add the products of each, and all the products for the total.
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Feb 19, 2006, 01:57 PM
    Length times width of each floor. It doesn't include a basement unless it is finished to code (windows & doors with proper egress specs) A garage is not included and the attic in not included unless there are finished rooms.
    Example: if you have a ranch/ single story house on a slab, no garage, say 40' long by 32' wide that equals 1280'. Your house is 1280sq ft.
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Feb 19, 2006, 01:58 PM
    You beat me to it TK
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Feb 19, 2006, 07:59 PM
    In some locations, basements are not included in sq footage calculations even if they are finished. Don't know the exact details, but I do know that the finished room in my basement does not count towards the total square footage of my house.
    thetachi464 Posts: 93, Reputation: 4

Feb 20, 2006, 08:02 PM
    Here in Kentucky the basement is only included if it is a walkout basement(sometimes called a daylight basement).
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2007, 07:45 AM
    Check With A Realator In Your Area To See If The Basement Is Included.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 13, 2010, 08:58 AM

Ya-all have addressed a room that's a perfect square or rectangle . But what if this room has a built out bay or small addition?
    You lay out the larger room as a perfect square or rectangle and multiply L X W and measure the smaller bay as a separate room and add the two together for a total footage. Cheer, Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 14, 2010, 10:22 AM

Yom Tom, did you see when this was asked? We were young back then

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Square d sub panel [ 29 Answers ]

I am not to familiar with residential wiring and I have a question about sub panel problem. I have a 200 amp main panel with a 125 amp sub panel. There is a 60 amp feeder from the main for the sub. My problem is I am getting an unbalanced loading problem. I tried balancing the load between the 2...

Window measurement [ 3 Answers ]

I want to install double hung windows in my home. I'm buying the windows from home depot. Question #1, when measuring windows do I give exact measuring example one windows measure w-29 3/8 - h-61 1/4 . Question #2 I live northeast what type of insulation I install in the inside of the windows. ...

Strange voltage measurement [ 4 Answers ]

I got some strange voltage measurement when I was repairing an electrical outlet and hope someone can explain this to me. I have a electrical outlet with hot wire connected and neutral wire disconnected. A lamp with a simple rotary switch at the light bulb socket is plugged in to the socket....

Completing the square! HELP! [ 2 Answers ]

Hey all, were doing quadratics and completing the square and my teacher gave us about 30 problems to work on but I'm really stumped on half of them. Im going to list 3 problems that are similar in how they are setup, can you show me how to solve them? I think I can figure out how to do the rest...

Please help with numerical (income measurement & reporting) accounting problems [ 1 Answers ]

I am having trouble with the following problems. Can someone please help me with these problems. I really need some help. I would really appreciate it. Thanks 1) During a recent period a real estate development company using the installment method of revenue recognition used a 40% gross profit...

View more questions Search