Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    labbymom Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2006, 10:46 AM
    Runt puppy very small
    I have a 4 week old litter of labrador puppies. Most of them weigh about five pounds. Our smallest only weighs 2 1/2 pounds. He only nurses for a few minutes and then falls asleep. He will not take a bottle or drink from a bowl. The other pups are eating moistened food now. The vet is keeping a close eye on him. My question is: has anyone had a runt this small which has survived to be happy and healthy?? I am really worried about the little guy and need advice from those who have had a similar situation.
    minpinrus Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

May 10, 2006, 06:38 AM
    We had a puppy that was more than half the weight of its litter mates. She need to be bottle fed for 2 days and then while nursing we had to keep rubbing her back to keep her awake. She has now almost caught up to her litter mates. Just hang in there and keep trying and the puppy will strive
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2006, 07:14 AM
    HI,
    I agree with the answer before mine.
    Have a lot of patience, and the pup should be OK. It will need a lot of care, to get it going, and will eventually catch up with the others. I do wish you the best, and good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Runt not Eating? [ 2 Answers ]

My cat just had kittens (January 13th); five beauties. Most of the kittens are doing well, but one kitty (Cloud) is just smaller than the rest. S/he doesn't seem to eat as much, is much more smaller than the rest in terms of weight, and is much more active (I think Cloud will also be the first to...

Does it matter if my kitten is the runt? [ 1 Answers ]

I've bought a kitten, who seems a little smaller than his brothers - does this matter?

When is a puppy not a puppy anymore? [ 3 Answers ]

Our Lhasa is now 10 months old. As a puppy we have had food available pretty much at all times, but maybe he's getting past that now, and for his weight should maybe only be fed about a cup to a cup and a half of his dog meal a day. We have been using Wysong, by the way, and it seems to have a...

Runt, sick (wild) kitten question [ 1 Answers ]

I have brought home a wild kitten about 5 weeks of age that has an eye infection and an abscess. The kitten is on antibotics starting today, but was only removed from the mother as of last night (it is eating gruel well at 3 hour intervals) but has not pooped. I have foster kittens, mainly for...

Small Question [ 2 Answers ]

Umm... (I must sound like an amateur) In SUVAT equations... How can you tell when a displacement has to be negative or positive..? Like when freefall... is the displacement +ve or -ve :-[ (if down is considered +ve) And when you throw something up (considering up as positive) is...

View more questions Search