Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2008, 02:42 PM
    Evolution FAQs
    I found a great web page that lists many of the questions people here ask about evolution.

National Academy of Science Evolution FAQs from the National Academy book Science, Evolution, and Creationism.

Science, Evolution, and Creationism

• Aren’t evolution and religion opposing ideas?
    • Isn’t belief in evolution also a matter of faith?
    • How can random biological changes lead to more adapted organisms?
    • Aren’t there many questions that still surround evolution? Don’t many famous scientists reject evolution?
    • What evidence is there that the universe is billions of years old?
    • What’s wrong with teaching critical thinking or “controversies” with regard to evolution?
    • What are common ideas regarding creationism?
    • Wouldn’t it be “fair” to teach creationism along with evolution?
    • Does science disprove religion?

Of course, the correct answer to most of these questions is "no," but the NAS website explains why.

The National Academy of Sciences is one of the most authoritative source of mainstream science in the world. Members of the National Academy are considered the best scientists in their fields of study. So these answers represent the official scientific consensus, what biologists agree are the right answers to these questions.

Just Asking
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 30, 2008, 03:16 PM
    Get web site, will take a bit to digest
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2008, 03:16 PM
    That is a very good page. Before I came onto these boards I had no idea the problems people had with accepting evolution, and the amount of misinformation that has been spread.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 30, 2008, 03:18 PM
    This thread goes well here as too: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/religi...ghlight=design
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 30, 2008, 03:19 PM
    It is what one means by evolution is the issue, I think we all can agree that things do evolve, mutate and change.

Do all agree mankind and all living things came from one early cell that started by chance, of course not, I would say the majority of people ( all people) don't believe that at all

But science has not even came close to any proof, it has ideas, teachings and belief. They have faith in those just as those of Jewish, Christian and Muslim faiths have belief in their teachings that God created the world and all that is in it. And no there are those who are not lay people who are people of faith and belief their religious teachings. And to assume that only those who are not educated would believe in religion is far fetched at best.

The fact is, there is no firm evidence to move it from a idea to a fact.
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2008, 04:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by templelane
    That is a very good page. Before I came onto these boards I had no idea the problems people had with accepting evolution, and the amount of misinformation that has been spread.
    Me too, Templelane. Until I came here, I didn't realize how much misinformation there was and also the many ways there are to misunderstand evolution. Talking to people here has made me more sympathetic to how hard it is to sort this out if you haven't studied biology. I understand better now how easy it is for a layperson to get the mistaken impression that biologists disagree about whether life evolved (when actually biologists agree unanimously that life evolved). I thought this link might be a good resource for future discussions.
    Asking
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2008, 05:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    It is what one means by evolution is the issue, I think we all can agree that things do evolve, mutate and change.

Do all agree mankind and all living things came from one early cell that started by chance, of course not, I would say the majority of people ( all people) don't beleive that at all
    Hi, Fr. Chuck,
    Exactly! The scientific evidence for evolutionary change over millions of years is overwhelming. For example, we know that some fish evolved into amphibians, which evolved into reptiles, which evolved into dinosaurs and birds. That kind of change is all laid out in layers of fossils, just like the pages of a picture book. It's undeniable and all the molecular data tells the same history of life.

BUT the origin of life--how the very first cells formed billions of years ago--is a much tougher problem. I think it's fair to say that the majority of biologists now accept that living cells evolved from non living matter right here on Earth. Compared to the evidence for evolution, the evidence for the origin of life is weaker and more theoretical, but it is still pretty good.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Evolution [ 9 Answers ]

As I understand it, according to Evolution Theory, in the vast passage of time in the past a species has gradually evolved (and will evolve in future) into another species when (1) the instinct to survive has "warned" a species that its survival was doomed through rise of some hostile element in...

Evolution anyone? [ 63 Answers ]

I have read bits and pieces on evolution and its theories. If someone could simplify it and tell me in a way the average person understands I would be grateful.:) Also how much of it has been proven without doubt and how much remains to be researched? Also if you could give examples of...

Evolution [ 2 Answers ]

As I understand it, according to Evolution Theory, in the vast passage of time in the past a species has gradually evolved (and will evolve in future) into another species when (1) the instinct to survive has "warned" a species that its survival was doomed through rise of some hostile element in...

Human Evolution [ 29 Answers ]

If humans evolved from apes, why are there still apes on this earth? Why didn't they evolve?

View more questions Search