Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Erbusch Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2008, 12:09 PM
    Lake Association Mandate
    Our family owns a lake property on a private lake, which is governed by an association. The land that my father purchased in 1991 is not now nor ever has been part of this association. Over the last few years that association has been creating new regulations on the lake that everyone is supposed to abide by but has never been forced to do so until this year. This year before being given our boat stickers, which show the patrol that we are property owners, we must sign an agreement. The agreement states that we must abide by all regulations, we are responsible for any of our guests behaviors, we must pay all fines against either us or our guests, and finally we must agree to allow the lake patrol the right to board and search our vessel whenever they deem it appropriate to maintain our boating "privileges." First of all, being that we are not part of the association, must we abide by any of these rules. Secondly, isn't there some kind of violation of rights involved here. I feel like this association is continually getting bolder in violating our rights every year.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 30, 2008, 12:17 PM
    Well, there are certain factors here. The main one is who owns the lake. If it is, as you stated, a private lake, then even though you may have bought property prior to the establishment of the association, the lake itself is under the control of the association. If you wish to use the lake, then you have to abide by their rules.

Other than the right of the patrol to board without good reason, I don't think the rules you cited are too onerous. They seem to be aimed at making sure everyone can enjoy the lake.
    Hundalei Posts: 65, Reputation: 4

Apr 30, 2008, 12:39 PM
    Oh yes, they are overstepping their boundaries by quite a lot. Even if it is a "privately owned" lake, all that usually means is that there is no public access, it does not mean that the citizen's of the lake replace the police & coast guard. Any and all boating regulations are set by the state/country. Sure your association can create a book of guidelines to safe boating, but demanding the right to board your boat?? Only Police or Coast Guard have that right! Also if it is a private lake why do you need stickers to identify Property Owners Boats? Shouldn't they be the only boats on the lake.

You have no obligation to join this Association, and if I were you I would start calling up some local government representatives to start the ball rolling on your personal rights & freedom's being comprimised. I am also on a private lake, where may are laying out guidelines about noise, boating, etc. But if there is ever a problem, we call the cops, not the president of the association.

Regarding the association itself, and how they can possibly think that they have the right to decide who gets boating "privileges" and deeming you responsible for your guests etc. I would try very hard to find out who their insurance provider is. All Lake Association's should have insurance, and if they do, I can promise you that their provider would be none to happy with them and possibly even pull the policy . By putting themselves in the shoes of "Lake Police" your association has effectively made themselves responsible for everyone's safety on the lake, which will make them liable for any injuries.

I have been part of Lakefront Property Owner's assocaitions before and there is always a nut or two. Sounds like the nuts have taken over your lake. Feel free to private Message me about this. I could go on forever about what they are doing and how totalitarian their actions are.

Last thought. No one controls your actions but the law! And a bunch of overzealous cottagers are not the law!

Apr 30, 2008, 12:46 PM
    For a lake to be truly private, you better be the only one on it or be willing to deal with others. People on lakes own the property on shore. Not the lake itself. Imagine you have bought property in a gated community. "Private" so to say. You can't go to your neighbours and start demanding that everyone in the neighbourhood allow their vehicles to be searched as they use the roadways! There are certain human rights here. If his neighbours want to control everything on the lake than maybe they should find a private pond!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 30, 2008, 02:04 PM
    Yes, as the above poster said, only the police and coast guard have a right to board your boat, so that is why the association is having you sign that right away so their security guards can check for violations.

They may get around this by seeing if the local police will swear in the security as special police ( if your state has that) which gives them police power but only on that property.

But often in gated community yes residents under bylaws are given tickets by security people for speeding and other traffic violations, that are paid to the association.

But if the associatoin owns the lake, they can set the rules to who gets to use it, I think these are excessive rules to a point ( good for safety but could be abused) but I believe they may be within their legal rights to require this of anyone that uses the lake.

I owned lake front property before but was not in the association, I could not use the lake, unless I paid dues ** I could fish from my land but not have a boat dock or use a boat on the lake.

Apr 30, 2008, 07:11 PM
    A private community can hire their own police force. They can have their own laws. I have to strongly disagree with Hundalei. I used to work for a company that developed vacation properties. They bought up the land and dammed up a stream to create a lake. The lake was private, use only for property owners, who paid dues to maintain the shared community areas. They had a number of rules for example, no gasoline motor boats on the lake.

It is certainly not onerous for property owners to be responsible for their guests. Their insurance carrier is probably behind some of those clauses.

The Constitution guarantees due process. Therefore the boarding issue would probably not hold up in court. But everything else is within the rights of the Association.

Apr 30, 2008, 07:55 PM
    Thank You for your posts we appreciate the info. We are not necessarily concerned about most of the other regulations, however the one regarding boarding our boat is particularly disturbing to us. What would be the solution to obtaining the stickers for the boat that they require. Essentially they are forcing us to sign over our rights if we want to continue to boat on the lake. The told us at the association meeting that they will fine those of us who do not comply with all regulations including the boating stickers. If the fines are not paid they have threatened to put a lien on our property. What is the solution and can they do this. Thank you.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 1, 2008, 05:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Erbusch
    Thank You for ur posts we appreciate the info. We are not necessarily concerned about most of the other regulations, however the one regarding boarding our boat is particularly disturbing to us. What would be the solution to obtaining the stickers for the boat that they require. Essentially they are forcing us to sign over our rights if we want to continue to boat on the lake. The told us at the association meeting that they will fine those of us who do not comply with all regulations including the boating stickers. If the fines are not paid they have threatened to put a lein on our property. What is the solution and can they do this. Thank you.

Did anyone find out who actually owns the Lake?

I disagree with an earlier post about only the Coast Guard being allowed to board boats - that argument becomes moot once the OP signs an agreement which ALLOWS and PERMITS the Association's security officers to board boats. The other choice is (apparently) not to sign and not to use the lake.

In my area I am aware of a private lake which has now decided no jet skiis - not now, not ever. Came out of the blue BUT the lake is privately owned and so the owner gets to make the rules.

In many gated communities the community Police can and do enforce their own set of "rules." I've seen the easements for community roads cover these situations.

This is another one where I think I would consult with an Attorney - someone has to check the various title searches and easements and the OP "probably" is not the only property owner who is disgruntled.

May 1, 2008, 06:05 AM
    Your options are to comply and get the stickers, or fight them in court on the grounds that they are violating Constitutional law against unlawful search and seizure and suspension of due process.

Depending on how serious they are, such a fight can become expensive. However, I think you will win, but ONLY on the boarding issue. I think the rest of the regs are reasonable.

May 1, 2008, 07:37 AM
    Again, thank you for the responses. Please continue to post if you have further suggestions. The facts seem to say that we are pretty much being forced to comply. There was another man who was not part of the association at the lake who wanted to add on to his house on his own property. He first asked permission and was denied, but did it anyway. In the county of the lake you do not need a permit to add an addition to a home. The association sued him for not following the guidelines despite the fact he was not part of the association. The association has already spent 90,000 dollars trying to force this issue and the other man approximately 40,000. We don't believe that we have much of a choice in the issue anymore. We are not willing to go that far. It's real shame because we used to be able to call this place god's country because only natural law and morals were the guidelines to follow. Now these new association members have ruined it. Again, thank you and any other suggestions will be helpful.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2008, 07:42 AM
    I think a lot of this depends on who owns the lake. If it is owned by the association, then you have really only two options: follow their rules or not use the lake. You would be using it as a guest, and the owner can put any restrictions that he wants on what guests can do.

May 1, 2008, 07:57 AM
    Frankly, I think you are over-reacting to some extent. As I've said, except for the issue of boarding (which, admittedly is a major issue and an anethma to me), the other regs seem designed only to protect the peace and quiet of the lake.

The issue of the guy adding on to his house, maybe the changes he was making would affect the ecological and aesthetic nature of the community. There are two sides to every story. From where I sit, I see the association trying to protect the character of the community and pleasure of using the lake. How would you feel if you were out on the lake peacefully fishing and a party boat whizzed by making a lot of noise, throwing beer cans in the water, etc. Wouldn't you want the boat owner held responsible for the actions of his guests?

Two thoughts come to mind. I would consider contacting a Constitutional Law professor at the nearest law school. Ask if they would be willing to write a letter to the association stating their opinion on the constitutionality of boarding regulation. Maybe that will put a scare into the association. Or you can contact the ACLU. They LOVE to get involved when constitutional rights are being curtailed.

May 1, 2008, 12:14 PM
    All I can say is Thank the Good Lord I live in Canada where our rights & freedom's are respected. My family has been cottaging for 100 years. I have been part of our lake association for 25 years. I have never heard of anything that so violates a person's rights and freedoms, but then again I live in the True North-Strong & Free. I have asked my parents & grandparents about this post and all shook their heads laughing at how anyone could be so unreasonable or feel that they have the right to control others. Associations are there to set guidelines, not laws. If I were you Erbusch I would get the hell off that lake and cottage somewhere where your neighbours respect your rights. As for the gated community example I used, again in Canada, the only people who are allowed ot patrol and hand out tickets is the cops. I wouldn't stop for a private security guard. How do you know they just didn't slap on a security hat!

May 1, 2008, 12:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hundalei
    I have asked my parents & grandparents about this post and all shook their heads laughing at how anyone could be so unreasonable or feel that they have the right to control others.
    I'm curious as to what you feel is so unreasonable? Or where there is actually controlling going on.

Clearly the issue of boarding someone's boat is way over the top. But other than that, what's so unreasonable? Is it unreasonable that you should be responsible for the actions of your guests? It is controlling to not allow you to use private property if you don't agree to assume such responsibility? I don't think so. I would feel more comfortable in a community that I know cares about the rights of its members.

May 1, 2008, 01:54 PM
    As we informed in the last post the regulations regarding protection of the lake are in no way a problem. We completely understand and respect those decisions. However, as we also said their use of force... requiring all land owners, association members or not, to sign over their civil liberties and rights in order to obtain the right to use the water on which our land sits... is unacceptable to us. Essentially what is happening at the lake is that wealthy individuals are obtaining property and becoming board members in the last few years. These people are now trying to create restrictions that do not necessary benefit anyone and in essence take away some of our god given rights. The issue currently at hand is an issue however is not the main issue here. The main issue here is this is just the beginning. If we continue to allow this type of behavior from this association where is it going to end. What is difficult is that the association is not afraid to take anyone to court whether they will win or lose. The before mentioned case involving the main adding to his home is a good example. The association was informed prior to the case that they could not possibly win. They then turned and fired that attorney who informed them of this, hired three more, and when to court where the supreme court ruled against them. They are now continuing to pursuit this guess... and who do you think is paying for it. We are, through our annual dues which increased this year because of it. It is simply sickening. Thank you again though, we appreciate the responses. Any suggestion is helpful.

May 1, 2008, 02:15 PM
    First, other than the issue of boarding, I don't see any signing away of civil liberties. Second, if you object to the changes in the association, run for the board. If you think the board is being too restricitve, get other property owners together and file a class action. There are laws that can be used to reign in an over the top HOA.

As for the other owner, tell him to sue the HOA for mailicious prosecution. If he can get an affadavits from the first lawyer and then show they continued to harass, he may be able to get his attorney costs back.
    Uber Member

May 1, 2008, 02:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Erbusch
    As we informed in the last post the regulations regarding protection of the lake are in no way a problem. We completely understand and respect those decisions. However, as we also said their use of force...requiring all land owners, association members or not, to sign over their civil liberties and rights in order to obtain the right to use the water on which our land sits...is unacceptable to us. Essentially what is happening at the lake is that wealthy individuals are obtaining property and becoming board members in the last few years. These people are now trying to create restrictions that do not necessary benefit anyone and in essence take away some of our god given rights. The issue currently at hand is an issue however is not the main issue here. The main issue here is this is just the beginning. If we continue to allow this type of behavior from this association where is it going to end. What is difficult is that the association is not afraid to take anyone to court whether they will win or lose. The before mentioned case involving the main adding to his home is a good example. The association was informed prior to the case that they could not possibly win. They then turned and fired that attorney who informed them of this, hired three more, and when to court where the supreme court ruled against them. They are now continuing to pursuit this guess...and who do you think is paying for it. We are, through our annual dues which increased this year because of it. It is simply sickening. Thank you again though, we appreciate the responses. Any suggestion is helpful.

Sounds like 99% of all condo boards -

I see no choice here for you other than legal action. Maybe it's a civil liberties question and an Attorney can get involved for a reduced fee on that basis.

I see no other "out" - I think the info and advice which have been posted are sound.

May 1, 2008, 02:28 PM
    What I feel is so unreasonable is that the association is taking the place of the police. Why is it this man's responsibility to pay any fines that his guests might encur? For what would one get a fine? Who decides who gets fined & what if there is a disagreement as to the guilt or innocence of one's actions? This is what police and laws are in place for. This association sounds like a bunch of vigilantes.

As for private security guards anywhere, gated community, lake, whatever. Up here they are in place pretty much to scare away the unwanteds OR call the POLICE if there is an actual problem. They do not ticket, arrest, anything outside of an extreme event. After all they are only armed with a flashlight!

Anyway it is clear that not many on this post agree with me. All I know is that up here, no one owns the lake, and no one can set the rules. People can agree to guidelines, but voluntarily. To force someone to either sign something they disagree with, or take away their freedom to enjoy their property within the scope of the LAW is just ludacris. Especially when these "association rules" did not exist when the land was purchased.

Scott, the answers to your question are yes and yes, unless the laws are being broken in which case call the POLICE. Not your lake association president. It is not up to us to police each other, and doing so will lead down bad roads.

That's my 2 cents.
    Uber Member

May 1, 2008, 02:33 PM
    What I feel is so unreasonable is that the association is taking the place of the police. Why is it this man's responsibility to pay any fines that his guests might encur? For what would one get a fine? Who decides who gets fined & what if there is a disagreement as to the guilt or innocence of one's actions? This is what police and laws are in place for. This association sounds like a bunch of vigilantes.

As for private security guards anywhere, gated community, lake, whatever. Up here they are in place pretty much to scare away the unwanteds OR call the POLICE if there is an actual problem. They do not ticket, arrest, anything outside of an extreme event. After all they are only armed with a flashlight!

Anyways it is clear that not many on this post agree with me. All I know is that up here, no one owns the lake, and no one can set the rules. People can agree to guidelines, but voluntarily. To force someone to either sign something they disagree with, or take away their freedom to enjoy their property within the scope of the LAW is just ludacris. Especially when these "association rules" did not exist when the land was purchased.

Scott, the answers to your question are yes and yes, unless the laws are being broken in which case call the POLICE. Not your lake association president. It is not up to us to police each other, and doing so will lead down bad roads.

That's my 2 cents.

You did understand that this is a privately-owned lake, right? This is not Lake Erie, Lake Ontario, Lake Huron, wherever you are. This is a privately-owned lake. No one is walking into her house and turning off her TV (or whatever).

The OP's enjoyment of her property is not being taken away - her enjoyment of the private lake may or may not be taken away. Two different things.

Buzzing around on a private lake is NOT a right, it's a privilege.

May 1, 2008, 02:50 PM
    What I feel is so unreasonable is that the association is taking the place of the police.

That's my 2 cents.
    The Police have their limitations. That's why private communities employ private security. This is not uncommon, at least in the states. There is nothing wrong in that. And I see nothing wrong in a host being responsiblke for his guests.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Lake monster movie? [ 3 Answers ]

I recall a movie from awhile ago that involved these children in search of a lake monster. I'm pretty sure at some point a child left an oreo on the dock which the monster ate. Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is really bugging me.

Rights of a owner on a lake cabin [ 5 Answers ]

I have a cabin on a lake in North Dakota, we own the cabin but rent the land that our cabin is on. Some of the property beyond the cabin is corps land. Every year the land lord sends out a bill in the spring for the lot rent, and this year he also stated in the bill if anyone from now on sells...

Why does club mandate members wear jockstrap? [ 1 Answers ]

Just joined martial arts club. Club rules mandate wearing jockstrap for all club training sessions. Why? There are plenty more comfortable underwear with same purpose as jock.

I need a large lake in my toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I currently have a small puddle of water in my toilet bowl. I'm hoping to get some ideas on which toilets are the best. I want a lake. A big lake. I also want something that will scare people when it's flushed. I want the floor to shake as my lake is emptied and a new lake emerges. So some ideas...

View more questions Search