Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    applehead2007 Posts: 43, Reputation: 2

Apr 30, 2008, 11:28 AM
    What is a typical day like for a high school counselor?
    I am interested in going back to school to become a high school counselor. :eek:

What do high school counselors deal with most in a typical day? Do they focus more on students with social and learning problems, or does most work fall into academic advising and placement testing? :confused:

What is the best aspect of this job? Worst aspect or greatest challenge?

How difficult is it to get a position upon graduating?

Thank you!! :D
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2008, 11:00 PM
    I would imagine things vary from school to school and within the different communities, but at my school we have counselors who focus more on students with emotional, family, etc problems. And then counselors who focus more on academic things.

And what area are you looking in to find a job? In CA there are major budget cuts right now and a lot of schools are reducing counseling departments, teachers, programs, libraries, and even going as far as sharing principals to save money. So finding a job with any school here right now is difficult. But I haven't paid much attention to other states educations budgets so that may vary also.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Night school for high school-aged people [ 15 Answers ]

I heard about there being night school for high school kids. In fact, I think a friend of a friend went to night school when I was in jr. high. I've searched Google, and can't find any listings or info for night schools in PA. Does anyone know if they exist for high schoolers, and where I could...

Their going to high school! And I'm not! [ 2 Answers ]

I'm one of the stat girls for 7th/8th grade wrestling.the other person who stats is in 8th grade,and more thatn half the wrestlers are un 8th.next year,their going to high scjool,but I'm staying in middle school 4 another year.im going to miss everyone,but ecspecially my crush! I mite never see him...

After High School [ 7 Answers ]

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I have been very stressed out lately because of something that my girlfriend brought up just this week. She has mentioned that in a short time we will be done with high school and that she would be attending college in another state. (this is a guarantee) ...

Typical high school drama I guess [ 3 Answers ]

Why is life so confusing at this age? Better question: why are GUYS so confusing? Im getting so confused with everything and I have been thinking about this guy nonstop. Litteraly... I even wake up throughout the night thinking about him. I am seriously going to have a total breakdown soon. And...

View more questions Search