Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jadedhills Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2006, 07:39 AM
    Sec slave ATAPI incompatible
    :confused: :confused: hi folks this is driving me nuts Gigabyte 6wmm7 motherboard 1x HD 1Xcdrom 512 ram
    goes through post then stops at this message,"Sec slave ATAPI incompatible" I have no secondary device connected tried changing cdrom to cable select , no joy, can't get into setup even after removing battery for 30 min, tried jumper setting by battery still no joy this is for a friend (single mum and broke) please anyone, one of you must be able to help me.
    Thanks
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Feb 19, 2006, 08:05 AM
    Have you tried to boot without the cd attached to the system?
    Why can't you get into setup - is there a password or just non-responsive?

When you cleared the CMOS setting did you check the motherboard manual to make sure it was the correct one?
    http://europe.giga-byte.com/MotherBo...mm7_2003_e.pdf

It might be worth doing a bios update if the problems persist:
    http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/Motherboa...S_GA-6WMM7.htm

Feb 19, 2006, 08:13 AM
    Thanks for the post I had no manual with pictures so it was not much help your link is great thanks, will do some reading, back soon, oh I did try booting with no cdrom on still no joy, l8r

Feb 19, 2006, 01:10 PM
    OK so far could not get into the bios but now I'm getting to a page that is the
    f8 screen with an apology and a series of options tried them all safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, start windows as normal and it all goes for a bit then freezes, I have a xp corporate version on the HD installed on another computer, tried xp startup discs because only boot from floppy (no bios access) discs always fail tried pro tried home still no joy I'm stumped, desperately need accesss to my bios which is AMI BIOS and I've tried all the backdoor passwords, seeing its packard bell tried their passsword anybody got a further password list or any ideas?

Feb 19, 2006, 01:50 PM
    I would now contact Packard Bell for the way to access the bios, if they've set a password for it.

Is the unit within it's warranty period?

It sounds like your system will boot from floppy and HDD but not CD rom and you can't change the sequence.

Also sounds like the HDD installation is corrupted somehow which is why you can't boot. This could also be hardware related if the system has a problem. I would test or swap out the memory first.

I would get the HDD into another machine and back up any files needed as soon as possilbe. Also do a full checkdisk on the HDD whilst in other system.

If you get all the above tasks done and want to re-install the os onto the disk, get a Windows 98 boot floppy and boot to dos, if it recognises the CD rom drive, change to it (use the "D:" command) and type setup.exe to begin installation. If the hardware is OK this shoud proceed, or alternatively, do you have a recovery disk for this system?

Feb 19, 2006, 02:01 PM
    Thanks for the comprehensive instructions sounds good, I will contact packard bell out of waranty though, formated ntfs so no win 98, excellent advice thank you again

Feb 19, 2006, 02:23 PM
    All you need the 98 startup disk for is access to the CD - it doesn't matter what the C:drive is formatted as - when you start setup from d: it will recognise it anyway!

Feb 20, 2006, 06:06 AM
    Wow thanks for that ,I will try tomorrow and let you know if I have any joy

Feb 20, 2006, 06:07 AM
    You learn something new every day isn't it great

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Love Slave [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, I have been in love before but it didn't seem like real love because the other person didn't love me, they rather play with my feelings, oh well, sugar cube iced tea. I have never had a serious long-term relationship, they have come and gone and I'm still alive, but my two sisters(one...

Pc to Pc slave [ 9 Answers ]

I forgot the ask, why do you want to go this route rather than just downloading the apps on to the other machine ?

Atapi Dvd-rom 16 Max [ 7 Answers ]

Hello,, I have just noticed that my dvd-rom drive is not showing up when I open 'my computer', I then opended the 'device manager',and in the general box it says "THIS DEVICE IS DISABLED. (CODE 22). When I click on 'enable this device it says 'Windows was not able to enable this device'. I also...

Atapi incompatible [ 1 Answers ]

Getting error message when I installed my new cdrom drive sec slave drive atapi incompatible what can I do please help

Cdrom atapi incompatible [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought a new computer over the Internet, and it looks like I can't get the cdrw to work. This is a bare bones type, so there is no OS. When I switch it on, the message Sec Master Drive - ATAPI incompatible appears. The HD & CDRW are on separate cables, so 2 masters are allowed, right? The...

View more questions Search