Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    [email protected] Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2006, 04:49 AM
    Freezing problems
    My computer freezes up all the time.. especially if I set to long at any site.I run norton protection for virus and spy ware, also use adaware se pesonal and clean my regestry on a daily basis--any ideas? Is there a way to reset my computer and wipe out all files? Thank you:confused:
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 19, 2006, 04:56 AM
    Have you made sure all your drivers and patches are up to date ?
    Worth try are some other anti spyware/virus apps and some system maintenance.
    (I'm going to assume that you are using XP even tho' you didn't mention.
    Most of these steps will work with any Operating System)

Here's some simple steps for you to take.
    1/ Remove temp files and other rubbish form your system, either with inbuilt Disc Clean up or CCleaner.
    (Disc clean up; open my computer > right click your C: drive > properties > Disc clean up button on general tab. Let it run and select everything)
    2/ Defrag; open my computer > right click your C: drive > properties > Tools tab > Defragament now button.
    3/ Error checking; open my computer > right click your C: drive > properties > Tools tab > Tope button > check now. Check BOTH boxes, OK the error message and reboot.
    4/ Page file; Right click 'my computer' > properties > advanced tab > Performance settings button > advanced tab > Virtual memory (near the bottom). To make things easier for you select System managed size > click set > then OK's all the way out again. (I suggest 'system managed' as there is no consensus on min and max sizes to set)
    5/ To make sure everything is running fine also run both anti virus and anti spyware apps (make sure that they are updated first ;)) (AVG is good and free AV)
    (A couple of good removal tools are Spybot and Adaware)

ALso an on line virus and spyware scanner is Trend Housecall
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2006, 06:43 AM
    Hi,
    This sounds a lot like Windows 98/98SE. If you do have 98/98SE, please post back. There are some steps, which sometimes works better, than for other windows systems.
    Best of luck.
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

Feb 22, 2006, 04:40 AM
    Please post specs on your system, from OS to hardware.. it sounds like a common 98 problem but could be a memory issue or maybe its just time to reformat

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm Freezing! [ 6 Answers ]

It seems pretty much normal that most women are colder than men, but this is just bad. I am constantly shivering in my own house, while my husband is sweating. I wear sweat shirts and pants ALL the time! My teeth chatter at work... and I wear a jacket in the office! I have been told I need more...

AC freezing up. [ 5 Answers ]

Installed it all and charged it on Sunday. Coil is 2" above furnace, called a guy to braze pipes and check pressure. Said all was fine and good. Air was good and cold but it was clear some ductwork needed to be done so I am planning that, but I got plenty of return air and now I also got an inch...

Computer freezing - tried everything... [ 4 Answers ]

Sorry if this post is supposed to be somewhere specific... I just need some quick suggestions because I'm going crazy. Here's my setup, my problem and what I've done to "fix" the problem: Home built machine... WinXP Pro SP-2 2.6 GHz P4 w/HT Asus P4P800-E Deluxe 2 GB DDR400 Kingston RAM...

Freezing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My computer freezes when I am trying to watch Internet TV or stream video. Does anybody knows what is the problem? Tx

Constant freezing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a few questions to ask I'm so unhappy with my Windows Me recently. It freezes 10 or 15 minutes after the computer is turned on. No matter if I'm on the net or just playying boring card games, it just freezes. I try ctrl+ alt+ delete to close the program that is not responding but I...

View more questions Search