Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tasteofink08 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2008, 08:59 AM
    Civil rights act of 1964
    What year did the civil rights act of 1964 happen?
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Apr 30, 2008, 09:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tasteofink08
    what year did the civil rights act of 1964 happen?
    It actually started with the Civil Rights Act of 1960. Than the Civil Rights act of 1964 was passed:

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Pub.L. 88-352, 78 Stat. 241, July 2, 1964) was a landmark legislation in the United States that outlawed segregation in the U.S. schools and public places. First conceived to help African Americans, the bill was amended prior to passage to protect women in courts, and explicitly included white people for the first time. It also started the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

You might like to know for your knowledge that it has been changed several times since then. In 1965 the Voting Rights Act of 1965 was added.

On April 11 , 1968 , President Lyndon Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act of 1968 (also known as CRA '68), which was meant as a follow-up to the Civil Rights Act of 1964

The Civil Rights Act of 1991 is a United States statute that was passed in response to a series of United States Supreme Court decisions limiting the rights of employees who had sued their employers for discrimination.

I see it as an ongoing work in progress.

Shirley

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Civil rights legislation [ 1 Answers ]

What was the major piece of civil rights legislation enacted during the 1960's?

States rights- civil war [ 1 Answers ]

Does anybody know anything about States Rights during/before the civil war? I have to do a project and every website has the same thing. :confused:

Civil rights singapore [ 1 Answers ]

Any information on civil rights in singapore,current or in the past, Thank you

Civil rights singapore [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone give me information on civil rights in singapore,as I am doing an essay on it. I need more on their rights to vote etc. Thank you

View more questions Search