Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ESRO2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2006, 04:55 PM
    Sued for child support after 15 years...
    I got divorced 13 years ago when my son was 2yrs old. We agreed on no child support/alimony (married for less than 2 yrs). She is legally the custodial parent even though we have 50/50 custody (offsetting weeks). I actually have him more than 50% of the time as she often asks me to have him here while she goes on camping trips, vacations back east etc... She is suing me now because her live-in boyfriend, who she has 2 young daughters with, has left her and now she must apply for welfare as she does not/will not work. My question is, do I have to pay even though I have him (at least) 50% of the time? If so, how much will I have to pay? Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
    p.s. We both live in the same cmall city in California.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 18, 2006, 05:48 PM
    It will be up to the judge, it is very possible that they will award it.
    Was your original agreement though the court? Even if it is, the other party can go back all the time to get the terms changed.

So you need to get an attorney to represent you at the hearing. If you don't have an attorney you have a much better chance of losing
    ESRO2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2006, 06:05 PM
    First off, thank you for your reply. It's pretty much the way I thought it would go.
    My son and I were wondering about the possibility of having the court order changed so I would become the custodial parent, with us still both having 50/50 custody. This would also help my case, correct?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2006, 07:23 PM
    Yes it would.

Then the odds she would be able to get child support from you will be much closer to 0.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2006, 08:16 AM
    HI,
    I would just like to re-emphasize the parts of your answers about getting a lawyer; one who is experienced in child custody and child support payments.
    If you didn't have a signed Separation Agreement and/or a signed Divorce Agreement, stating she will never ask for child support, then your wife can ask anything she wants. She can still ask for it, even if it is written out.
    You really need a lawyer. The chances of getting full custody without one are slim and none. I do wish you the best of luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support for child out of wedlock [ 8 Answers ]

My friend has been dating a man who is a millionaire(really) for two years. He is married and has two kids with wife. He has been financially supporting her all this time. Her role was to be available to jet set the world with him at a moments notice and of course look good and sleep with him. ...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child support? [ 9 Answers ]

I have had this question on my mind for a while now, so I thought I would ask it and hope someone here knows the answer. Hypothetically, lets say I got this random girl at a party pregnant. Let’s say I have no interest in being a father. Could I sign away all my rights as a father and...

Child support [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My husband has been divorced for 19 years, his kids are 25,23 and 21. His divorce agreement (Massachusetts) states that he pays Child support until the youngest turns 18 or is emancipated and that the support shall continue for any child not having attained the age of 22, residing with...

Child Support [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all. I need advice. My wife and I are separating and we are trying our best to make the process as smooth as possible. We have split joint bills evenly so we don't have to pay each other anything. She claims she doesn't want child support, but has a boyfriend going through a divorce that...

View more questions Search