Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    se_lecher Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2008, 12:30 PM
    Civil war and african americans
    How did america's first attempt at integration manifest and evolvein the first 30 years after the civil war??
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 29, 2008, 03:14 PM
    I was not aware of any attempt at integration during the first 30 years after the civil war. There were free blacks before the civil war in the north, and west already. Also living conditions for many whites in the south were no better than slaves pre war also.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2008, 03:36 PM
    You should research de facto segregation and de jure segregation. America never had positive, civil law on integration (that I am aware of) until President Lyndon Johnson indulged in that type of vote-buying, along with other Great Society programs. One exception: President Harry Truman "integrated" the U.S. military, in the late 1940's; check that out. Based upon the question you pose, you might as well be trying to figure out colonization on the Moon since Neil Armstrong's first imprint: it didn't happen.
    daycbrd Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2008, 08:45 PM
    It took a lot from the AA comunite. We had the mlk being arrested. And rosa parks being arrested for refusal of giving her seat up. Also the sncc sit ins [ sncc where young people, blacks and whites, who would sit in diners in the whites section and refuse to leave if not attended] or the sclc the 60's where the peak of all these happenings. Also the freedom riders which rode on a bus, blacks and whites together, and the bus was later bombed my racist white people. They stopped their protest but someone later picked up after where they left off. Also we had the little rock nine which where the nine students that wanted to attend a segrageted school but where refused entrance.

Just some little facts.
    tadita83 Posts: 130, Reputation: 16

Jun 3, 2008, 09:59 PM
    There actually were attempts during the post civil war years to close the rift between whites and African Americans. The way it was handled immediately following the war actually (in my opinion) led to the long lasting standard of segregation in America. Post civil War legislation to "integrate" for lack of a better word African Americans and whites included giving AA the right to vote and hold office. This angered many former slave owners and slavery supporters because they were not used to being on the same level as African Americans (keep in mind the mentality towards race relations duirng the time period). This caused them to take their anger out on the only people they could get away with it---- African Americans. That led to Jim Crow Laws and the growth of the KKK. So actually early attempts at "integration" seemingly made things worse for a while. (kind of one of those things that it has to get worse before it gets better) There were early civil rights leaders. Booker T. Washington supported social segregation and believed that African Americans could gain equality by learngin trades and skills, by showing their value to society. Also W.E.B. DuBois believed that AA should have full equal rights immediately which is why he co-founded the NAACP during the late 1800s. So YES there was activity on the Civil Rights front immediately following the Civil War

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Skin Lightening for African Americans! [ 25 Answers ]

Hello, I've been checking out the forums on skin whitening for african americans and I'm confused and really need help. I'm a very dark person due to being in the sun all day I'd like lighten up at least 3-4 shades. If anyone can assist me on some good information, or products to try it would be...

A Q for Dark Skinned Africans OR African Americans [ 3 Answers ]

hi! no offense to ANYONE on here, but i am having difficulty understanding who is getting results and what TYPE of results you were initially seeking. i, of course am a medium brown skinned(but i glow a reddish brown, in parts) like MISSY ELLIOT'S COMPLEXION. I am reading that some have used...

View more questions Search