Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rhouse30 Posts: 306, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2008, 11:35 AM
    DTV Converter Boxes
    Does anyone know whether this is true or not? With the DTV Converter Boxes that we got discounts from the government, we will be able to use them like rabbit ears (antennas) and get what channels we were getting with the antennas.

Any tips will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2008, 05:24 PM
    Your antenna is required with the converter box. Rabbit ears can be used with converter boxes. Most stations will use UHF, some VHF and in extremely rare instances they will not go digital.

Since the digital signal is rather unforgiving, you'll either have a signal or you won't. The concept of a snowy picture will not exist. Therefore there is the possibility that yout antenna system will need to be upgraded.

There is no such thing as a High Definition Antenna. It's either UHF or VHF with specific channel numbers.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Apr 29, 2008, 07:37 PM
    A few months ago I decided to give up (extended basic) cable which was not HD. From Fry's Electronics I bought a Channel Master 4228 8 Bay UHF antenna for $50 (reg $80), which I attached to my chimney, and pointed it at The mountain where the broadcast towers are located. That one antenna (without an amplifier) provides 28 channels (in Phoenix) to two HD TVs and three analog TVs with RCA converter boxes (from Wal Mart @ $50 less rebate= $14.11 each because of sales tax). The HD is flawless. The recently acquired converter boxes contain a signal strength meter which enables you to fine tune the pointing of the antenna for best reception. There is a website that will tell you what size UHF antenna you will need for your zip code, and the number of channels available. My advice is to get the best antenna you can, and spend the time to mount it for the best view of the broadcast towers. I don't think that an indoor antenna will give good results. I am a happy camper; and it's FREE.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Converter for wmp [ 4 Answers ]

Thanks for the answer changing format, from wma-mp3 I have 11 version for wmp but where is the tools to change the formats I put cd in drive to burn but there were no tools to change formats Any-other help please. AWT THANKS

HD Converter [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know any good software to convert SD (Standard definition) video formats to HD (High definition) video formats? What are the new HD video formats?

Converter [ 2 Answers ]

Is there any other websites to convert videos for psp?

Catalytic Converter? [ 4 Answers ]

What is a catalytic converter and what does it do? What will happen if I take it out and put straight pipe in place of it?

DVD Converter [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am in search of free software to convert DVD to mpeg, that or other video formats. Can anybody please tell me where the software will be available? -Kishore

View more questions Search