Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gracie1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2008, 12:30 AM
    Home care for my elderly parents
    I would like to remodel my parents bathroom so that I can adequately take care of them. I do not intend to ever place them in a nursing home but need changes made to the bathroom to make it handicap accessible. How do I go about this and are there grants available?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2008, 05:15 PM
    I don't know about any grants out there to do this. One recommendation would be to have a walk in shower installed so they can bathe without having to step into a bathtub/shower combo and not be able to get out.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 30, 2008, 05:41 PM
    There is not normally funding. Several places to look, if he was a veteran, they have done home remodels for certain classes of vets.

Also check out your local place of worship if you have one, many have been known to help.

Also you can look into social groups, elks, lions and the such locally.

Also if they have some specific disease, there may be a groop that helps that specific group.

Also some items may be ordered and paid for by medicare if needed, ordered by the doctor and approved by medicare.

But to be honest I have often been in the homes of eldery that have to merely have the door frames cut out and a curtain put up to allow wheel chair access. And/or manual or electric lifts to lift them in and out of a wheel chair.

And while the goal of "never" can be great, I will say there are a lot of great nursing homes, My wife and I do services and visit elderly all the time, Some of the homes have loving and caring staff and provide excellent service. ** others do not***

I can not say enough for the loving people at the Veterns Home in Cape Girardeau MO. We had the honor of my dad staying there the last months of his life, Often the ladies who would deliver meals came back before they would leave to go home and visit with residence, The staff was alwasys helpful, and good. I could have never gave him the quality of care they provided and the quality of life they provided him.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

May 6, 2008, 03:46 PM
    I don't know of any grants but you could check with these places. They may be able to give you some ideas.

HELPSTARTSHERE.COM

Respite Care
    rocketscientist Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2008, 01:39 PM
    Great help all. i'm in same situation. Anyone know or seen of a good way to get a shower or bath on first floor of a standard colonial style house? i'd rather not pay $5k or more and the bathroom there is a small half bath like most are. Father fell down stairs and if he had a shower or walk in bath on 1st floor he could stay on that level. I feel like adding a shower to the dining room but of course that doesn't look great. What do people do to get bathing on 1st floor at reasonable cost? Must be something nifty out there?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Repossession of modular home from elderly person [ 3 Answers ]

What can a mortgage company do to an elderly person(95) for non-payment on her modular home, due to her having to be put into a nursing home, other than just repossessing the modular home. They are threatening to take her to court.

How do you prove to your parents that you can take care of a cat? [ 3 Answers ]

Cats cats parents parents!! lol!!

Save elderly couple home [ 2 Answers ]

Is there any way to save a coulple in their 80s, paid off residence, if their rental property goes in to foreclosure. They can no longer aford to keep up the expense of the rental . Rents have fallen in the area far below what they need to continue to make the payments. Also the house has been...

Elderly parents and getting out of an apartment lease [ 4 Answers ]

My mother is elderly and now ill and I need to get her moved out of her apartment into my home so I can care for her 24 hours a day. Is there a way to break her lease without having to pay the remainder of the lease? What if one of them died and couldn't afford the apartment could the lease be...

Sick elderly parents need help with old credit card debt [ 9 Answers ]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hello there. This is my first question on this website. Hopefully someone is able to guide me. My father is 74 and very ill and my mother is 70 with cancer. They were keeping up on their credit card payments...

View more questions Search