Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nav_1992 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2008, 05:22 PM
    Why is there no sound in space?
    I was just wondering because others say there is and others say there isn't I'm totally counfused..? :confused: :confused: :confused:
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2008, 05:45 PM
    There is probably occational explosions, I don't think we can hear through our atomsphere. But may? Travel far without an atomsphere, I don't know, but curious.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Apr 28, 2008, 10:08 PM
    Sound is a vibration transmitted through some medium - water, air, etc. Space is nearly a vacuum, hence no medium for transmission. If you could build a big enough and sensitive enough "ear", you might hear something.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2008, 04:34 AM
    SPACE.com -- Black Hole Strikes Deepest Musical Note Ever Heard

Here's a sound that was detected from across space :)

But in general, for sounds that your ear is sensitive to, there is no sound.
    lalla1995 Posts: 36, Reputation: -1

Jun 10, 2008, 05:37 AM
    Because in space there is no vacuum. This is because of vacuum only we will say.
    WVHiflyer Posts: 384, Reputation: 34

Jun 14, 2008, 01:26 PM
    Scleros is correct - no molecules close enough together to vibrate, thereby creating sound.

[On of my fav cartoons is guy in lab coat (scientist) in movie theater shouting "There is no sound in space!"]

And do you know why there's a vacuum in outer space? Because the whole world sucks. Just kidding... <G>

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No sound while watching television.sound when playing video games [ 4 Answers ]

I have no Idea what the problem could be, but if I try to watch television, which is cable, I cannot hear the sound on the television, but If I play video games, then you can hear the sound perfectly... So, it cannot be a problem with the speakers inside the television.. Could it be the cable? What...

Girlfriend left because she needed space. Giving her space, but how do I get her back [ 14 Answers ]

My girlfriend of 1 1/2 years broke up with me. She said that she needed space. The reasoning behind this is that she says she just felt unhappy for a while, because of some of my actions. I love her dearly, and I have been giving her the space she has requested. She says that she loves me, but...

Missing sound, can't hear cd or sound play at all? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a Compaq, win xp, this afternoon and I had sound and everything was OK? But I think while working on the computer I accidentally erased the driver that helps allow sound to come from the comp, I can't seem to find site to download the driver? Please help, I can hear it beep...

No sound, asus mother board built in sound card [ 16 Answers ]

My comp plays no sounds. All drivers are installed and I have re installed them 2. Its well annoyin. Any help with this would be great. Thanks

View more questions Search