Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jbane1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2006, 07:36 AM
    Faulty lite
    :confused: I recently installed a flouresent lite fixture and after being on for ten or fifteen minutes, it shuts off. Is the ballast bad or something else going on? Thank-jb.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2006, 01:05 PM
    Most fluorescent balasts have a thermal protector builtin , and will shut down the ballast/light if the temp gets too hot. The ballast is probably defective. Is the fixture used or new?
    jbane1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2006, 01:18 PM
    The fixture was new when installed, so is it less expensive to replace the whole lite or buy a new ballast? JB.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2006, 01:39 PM
    If the fixture is a plain vanilla strip, it may be cheaper to buy the new fixture, either use the ballast or change the whole fixture if you can or need to.

Price out both, and take into consideration the work involved to change the fixture, or is it time for an upgrade.

If the fixture is a special style different than something readliy accessible, then just get the ballast.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lite On Combo Drive [ 1 Answers ]

Having trouble finding the drivers for a Lite On Combo LTC-48161H dvd/rw drive.According to various Googling I've done,the driver download sites on the net,are either incomprehensible,or don't work.Even the manufacturers site does a 404! In other words,as things stand,the combo-drive does zip,and...

Faulty wiring [ 6 Answers ]

I have a problem with wiring in the kitchen. It's a faulty switch that stops working intermittently and seems to heat up and crackle from time to time. It powers the washing machine so I really need to use it. Also there's a light on it and also I can't switch it off, the switch seems to be stuck...

Gas Furnace Doesn't Lite [ 3 Answers ]

My Carrier Furnace Igniter glows but the valve won't turn the gas on. I have discovered that the relay switch on the top of the valve has a bad connection to the pins (2 each) on the two solenoids. I can loosen this and slide up and down several times and it will work for awhile. My problem is that...

Faulty FSB [ 1 Answers ]

I have a server that blue screens when it starts to get into Windows Server 2003. The only perculiar thing is that it only does it when the FSB is set to 133MHz. If I turn it down to 100MHz it loads and runs fine. I am yet to try a BIOS upgrade on the motherboard as I am running a repair on the...

? Faulty wiring [ 4 Answers ]

:D - hello first post, so hoping that you are far better than I when it comes to electrics! Have just moved into a new house and could not believe that the previous couple had not left bulbs in the front room. One electric shock later and I now know why- none of the electric lights turn off at the...

View more questions Search