Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    InTheArmsOfGod Posts: 49, Reputation: 2

Apr 28, 2008, 04:32 AM
    Background checks
    I have 3 questions that involves teaching for the state of Florida if anyone should know.

1. How far do background checks go for prospective teachers? Meaning, do they only look at "convictions" and not arrests?

2. This question is for those who are familiar with the question process when you are being interviewed. Provided you have no convictions on your record, will you still be asked about misdemeanor/felony arrests in your past that have either been expunged or sealed by the courts?

3. Lastly, provided one has admitted and explained to their prior arrest and eventual outcome, what are there chances of being able to teach?

For simpler clarification, I am needing to know if the school board will ask you about prior arrests or not? And if they do, do they use that arrest against you in determining whether you should be allowed to teach or not? The crime in itself does not involve any actions that would put a child at risk (i.e. abuse, sexual abuse, alcohol, drugs, firearm)

Any help with this matter or directions to where I can find proper answers is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 28, 2008, 05:27 AM
    They can not see "arrests" this is not part of your background unless you are applying for law enforcement or national security positions.

Normally they will do a normal background on criminal which shows every conviction you had as a adult

They may ask you about any charges involving child abuse spouse abuse and related crimes.

But remember if people in the area know you, or if this material is available by talking to references and things like that, anything can be discussed. The main issue is that arrests do not show up on regular police reports.

If they use some private agency at times they find things that the police report seals since they are not obligated to the laws sealign the record.

So you list anything on your record, to be sure , go to the local police station and ask them to run a criminal history on yourself
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2008, 09:26 AM
    In my district... You will be asked for a yes or no and an explanation if necessary regarding any past felony charges. You will also have a fingerprint check. Even volunteers and substitutes in schools will be fingerprinted and checked.
    InTheArmsOfGod Posts: 49, Reputation: 2

May 2, 2008, 08:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DoulaLC
    In my district.....You will be asked for a yes or no and an explanation if necessary regarding any past felony charges. You will also have a fingerprint check. Even volunteers and substitutes in schools will be fingerprinted and checked.
    Do you know if you are disqualified for a past arrest (in your district)?

Thanks for your answers!
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 3, 2008, 04:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by InTheArmsOfGod
    Do you know if you are disqualified for a past arrest (in your district)?

Thanks for your answers!
    I went directly to the district website to double check, so that would be a good place to look if you are wanting to know specifically for your area. This is what my district covers:
    Will not hire for felony convictions for violence, sale of controlled substance, sexually related crimes, indecent exposure, child abuse. MAY for some misdemeanor convictions not in the last 10 years, and some lesser ones not in the last 5 years. They start to be more of a case by case situation when they are not felony convictions and what position you are looking for. Best bet would be to inquire where you want to try and get into.
    brandizzle Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2008, 06:01 PM
    I am a substitute teacher in Florida and have worked in the child care field in Florida. Jessie's law (I think) requires that all personnel working with children be fingerprinted and background checked. I would check the Florida department of education website and the county where you are applying. Most larger counties have online application processes and application information. For example, I live in the tampa bay area and know that all three of my surrounding counties, hillsborough, pasco, and pinellas, all offer online apps and hr info.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Background checks [ 2 Answers ]

My husband is being hired by a credit union (not working with the money) and had to be fingerprinted to be bonded. About 11 years ago he had a DUI which followed all the requirements by the courts and he had a solicitation charge which he had expunged from his record I think in 2002. Will these...

Background checks [ 1 Answers ]

Has anyone travelled to the UK. Tell me the procedure and if background checks was part of it. A speedy response will be appreciated. Prento

Background checks [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone help me with this one? Does the UK immigration do background checks on visitors to the country at their time of airport arrival?

Background checks [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know about comprehensive background checks. Can someone get records on a person's psychiatric disability if they were in a psyh. Hospital or the name of their psychiatrist. Thank you... raven;)

View more questions Search